Carb Fuel pump questions

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Tiggerduc
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Carb Fuel pump questions

Post by Tiggerduc »

Hey Guys building a 4.6 Titan stroker and I'm building it with a clifford performance intake and webber carb. Ive got most of my issues figured out for getting parts, but my question is about a fuel pump from the tank. Since I know that using the 4.0 block I'm going to lose the mechanical pump up I was looking at getting a stock fuel pump and sensor assembly to move the fuel forward with a 1-4psi regulator. Will this work or do I need to get a different fuel pump for the setup?

Bart
rlinares40
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Re: Carb Fuel pump questions

Post by rlinares40 »

did you ever get this figured out? looking to do the same with my wrangler.
derf
Stroker Displacement: 242
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Re: Carb Fuel pump questions

Post by derf »

It's difficult to take the EFI fuel pump pressure and regulate it down to what a carburetor needs (around 5 psi).

I've run a stock fuel pickup with no pump in the tank, feed the line to an aftermarket 5psi pump just outside the tank on the frame rail, and then use the factory fuel line from there to the carburetor. It's best to route the feed line using 3/8" tube and hose up to the carburetor and have some kind of bypass regulator or dual outlet fuel filter that feeds a 5/16" return line. Keeping fuel flowing in the lines keeps it cool and helps to prevent vapor lock (which is more of a problem at higher altitude).

Wire the pump up with a relay that is triggered by a "hot in start and run" wire from somewhere else.

Most of the parts stores and especially online places like Jegs and Summit will have quite a few options for pumps.
1987 MJ project: 4.6/AW4/ORD Magnum Box/Ford NP205/Dana Super 60/Dana 80/40's
2001 XJ: 4.0/AW4/NP242/D30/D44/32's
My gear ratio calculator: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html