4.6L Stroker swap into 95 Xj

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Xj

4.6L Stroker swap into 95 Xj

Post by Mike B »

Hey all, my name is Mike as noted in my username. I currently own two jeeps, a 99 Tj and a 95 Xj. The Xj is currently running and moving flawlessly, yet lacks power which could be solved by either a regear or an engine swap. The short answer is to do an engine swap since I have a 4.6L in the Tj, which is in need of major modification to do anything with it. So rather than let a newly rebuilt engine sit and waste away, Id rather put it to use.

The engine in question is a 4.6L stroker built from a 2002 block that was complete with a 0331 TUPY head intake and exhaust manifold. Before I acquired this 99 Tj, it was my buddys. He had bought a 4.0 block to swap into the Tj to replace the 2.5L turd that was in it before. Long story short, it was discovered that the engine needed a rebuild and machine work in order to be used, so my buddy used that as a reason to by the parts to stroke it. The block had been bored over .030", one cylinder was sleeved after a magnaflux revealed a cracked wall, this resulted in a slight amount of the block being decked, probably .005" at best. The head was machined to accept larger valves, cant remember exactly what size exactly unfortunately. He ended up purchasing a stage 1 stroker kit with 24lb injectors from Clegg engine and a stage 2 cam kit from them as well. SCR is apparently supposed to be at 8.8 to 1, and after calculating all the parameters of everything else I want to say that DCR ends up slightly below 7. After we built the engine and did the break in procedure, the engine ran well while the jeep was able to move still, aside from a couple of electrical issues he was having. Since the Tj had the 2.5L in it, my buddy had to find a 4.0 ECU and harness to run the engine. My buddy ended up having a lot of splicing to do on his part because of this and that is where his electrical woes came from. The engine still ran like a raped ape though. He had installed an wideband meter just to monitor the AFR and make sure he was going to detonate all the money he just invested into the engine. It ranged right around 14.7 for the most part, so good there. The demise of the jeep was the D35 which had grenaded under the newfound power my buddy had with his newly stroked engine.

So after that long winded briefing, I want to swap this engine into my 95 Xj since it needs more power. Things I need to know:

-the engine has the 99+ intake manifold on it, does the old style fuel rail bolt right to it?
-there are 24lb injectors running this engine right now, will I need to have the adjustable FPR to bring fuel pressure up from ~39 psi? I have done testing on the fuel rail with a pressure tester before to verify that static and dynamic pressure are within spec on my Xj.
-on the electrical aspect, will all sensors be compatible with a 95 ECU?
-Are there any piggy back or plug and play sensors I can add to allow this engine to run better in my 95? Can the ECU be tuned at all? I have tried to research this topic and have come up with mainly deadends unfortunately.
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Xj

Re: 4.6L Stroker swap into 95 Xj

Post by Mike B »

Since this was an accidental double post, I suppose I can steer this thread in another direction so that its not dead weight.

I just picked up a new toy
20201213_105758.jpg
A 2006 tj, so it looks like the 02 stroker block will be put to some use after all. The jeep that its in now is not road drivable sadly, and will need a bunch of work to get it to that point, but at least with the 06 having 170k on it, its still solid with minimal rust on the body and frame.

The only thing I'm worried about with doing this swap is that the engine runs a little rough in its current configuration, there was a lot of piece work done to get a harness and computer to work with this thing. My buddy had a hard time finding the proper components to match up, so I'm sure its an electrical issue thats causing it to run sluggish. I'm going to take some time and plug the computer in and see what codes are popping up, see if I can eliminate them and make it run to its potential before doing the swap. I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.