4.6L Sawp into 95 Xj

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
bnelson
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: 4.6L Sawp into 95 Xj

Post by bnelson »

Also, are you having O2 sensor bungs welded in or do you have another plan?
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Xj

Post by Mike B »

bnelson wrote: October 1st, 2020, 7:55 am Also, are you having O2 sensor bungs welded in or do you have another plan?
The header is doug thorley, and I need them. I'm running an OBD1 vehicle.
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Mike B »

Progress update, I started working on removing the old engine and prepping the new one with the necessary parts to drop it down in. I came across a few hang ups along the way, but nothing that will keep from getting the swap done in a timely manner.

I ended up picking up a gantry crane to facilitate the swap since I'm working on that outside currently.... cannot wait for a garage!!! Hopefully that'll get done in the spring time.... anyway, the crane is working great, coupled with every other tool that i have to work on this type of stuff.

I had a small hangup with the distro, where it was dropping into the block in the right spot when properly indexed, i actually started a help thread on that, and ended up figuring that out with some extensive reading and research. Ill post the link to my distributor indexing fix, no cutting necessary.

Also had an issue with the 99+ intake manifold fitment when coupled with a doug thorley header since the header is meant to be used with the 98 and earlier intake manifold. I used a grinder with a flap wheel to attempt to trim up the intake manifold and went too far with that unfortunately, when I got it to where I wanted it, I saw it just start to ripple when I pulled the wheel away. I had some aluminum brazing rods that I never had any luck with and attempted to seal the hole with that, I was surprised when it actually spread across the hole and adhered to the manifold. I used a flap wheel to again trim down the brazing puddle, and was even more surprised when it didn't just wipe away. After that, I checked the fitment in the engine and found that the intake cleared the exhaust, but since the clearance was so tight, looked to be an 1/8" or less between the exhaust runner and body of the intake, I decided I'll have to use the original intake that I have. The brazing rod melts at 700°F and being so close to the exhaust, I didnt want to risk a failure of that puddle and lean out the engine.

I went to install the flywheel and clutch, included with that, the pilot bearing...... I thought I had it all set, turns out I didn't. Theres a metal bushing that inserts into the crank, to which the pilot bearing presses into. Im sure some of you are familiar with that part... so I can't finalize the install til I get that, which should be Wednesday when I get the part. Ill work on that this weekend if I have time and a dry day.

Despite the lack of the bushing, I wanted to drop the engine in and mate it up to the trans and let it rest on the mounts. Needed to see if the hood would clear the engine or not. Turns out it won't, soo...... I need a cowl hood. Found a place in Cali that still makes fiberglass cowl hoods for the xj, which they sell for a decent price. Looking to work with them to get the hood soon.
20201005_184031.jpg
20201017_112157.jpg
20201016_191036.jpg
20201016_191028.jpg
20201016_191019.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Mike B »

Here's a few more photos, the distributor properly indexed and fitting into the block nicely, makes me so damn happy! Some photos from work, had to make a little longer drive during the week, causimg me to achieve no progress on the swap. And also the cowl hood produced by the company, still hoping that they are quick to deal with me and get that shipped out asap.

On the plus side, I did get the fuel rail all set with the new injectors, put the throttle body on the old manifold, and was able to remove all the accessory brackets and engine mounts from the old block. One of the pics on the previous post shows me removing a torque but bolt from the block that had seized... first time I ever had an easy out work for me in this situation. I was happy. So getting the piddly s*** taken care of is nice. Now I just need modify the exhaust to mate up to the doug thorley header and weld in the bung for the wideband at the same time.

Also,,i ordered the hesco adjustable fpr as well as the apexi afc neo. Probably will not install the apexi until after the cam break in and the piston ring seating procedure. This thing will be a beast!
received_3485405544884108.jpeg
20201014_113341.jpg
20201013_163645.jpg
20201013_164003.jpg
20201017_144223.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Mike B »

Sorry guys, I've been terrible lately with progress updates. Ended up getting everything dialed in and performed a camshaft break in. Sat for 25 minutes and reved her between 2000 to 2500 the whoel time. Temps barely crept over 210 and the engine ran great, until one of the injector plugs loosened up. Sorted that out in the short term with zip ties. I have ev6 injectors with adapters to go to ev1 for my jeep, but I ordered ev6 pigtail connectors to make a more secure connection. Fuel pressure at key on was 39 psi, working on running psi. Cylinder pressure on all before cam break in were 135 psi. I had to check it cause upon initial startup, there was no start up, got it sorted out that, obviously. Afr was right at 14 to 14.7 the whole time.

Went on to drive the keep to do the ring seat procedure, the jeep ran great, had so much power. I read through here something about doing roughly 10 heavy throttle passes from 30 to 50 then coasting back down. I got to the 9th pass and I detected a bad misfire. Not exactly sure what it is yet though i did pull the plugs when I got home. Afr gauge was reading above 15 during that trip, then when I got into wot the gauge went blank, like there were 4 dashes across the screen..... heres a pic of the plugs though. My fear is that I got too lean in the cylinders, not sure what kind of damge could have been done, really hoping that I didnt burn a hole in the pistons as a result...
20201107_164907.jpg
20201107_164856.jpg
The grounding strap is really white, and almost looks like blistering on the side that faces the piston. Any ideas? I've got the adjustable fpr, ill probably turn that up a little to start, im also going to re check compression on each cylinder when i get daylight.
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Mike B »

Got some new connectors in today, put them on each of the injectors tonight, and boy does she scream again. I also adjusted the fuel pressure regulator up to 49psi. Need to back that off a bit, my afr was at 10.9 for that brief moment that I ran the jeep. No misfiring though, im happy!

Psi for each cylinder was right around 150, plus or minus 3. Those numbers are pretty tight. Even happier, rings seated in a little more apparently, maybe they'll go a little more after more miles??
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Mike B »

A little more follow up, adjusted fuel pressure down to 44 psi, afr is right where it needs to be while running. It starts to see 15-16 even 18 when i let off the throttle and coast, but i believe that i read somewhere thats how it should be. The engine has a very defined power band right around 2500 rpms, and itll take off and scream. It seems to have better low end todque over the original engine which I was hoping for. A 5 speed on 33s with 3.55 gears was not to friendly to the stock engine with 225k on it. I did the swap just in time too, it seems like the bearings in the distibutor were on the verge of seizing up and it was putting a lot of strain on the distributor gear, to the point to where there is visible wear on it. Im not sure how the cam gear looks, but eventually ill get into tearing down the old block and save parts off it.

I need to do some body armor upgrades on the jeep now, my last outing before the engine swap did a number on the rocker panels and doors. I may end up buying an aftermarket front and rear bumper as well.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Mike, the ECM will read the TPS and MAP voltages along with wheel speed and take fuel away avoid wetting the cylinders. It is a programmed parameter of the calibration. Perfectly normal but like most gear heads we see that lean AFR and start to overthink the situation.

Not sure if you're running SBEC OBD1 or JTEC OBD2. One thing you might notice on either protocols is the trim delay. Watch the AFR`s when you mash the throttle and notice the delay before you see the AFR`s dropping and what the ultimate AFR number is.

Two things, that trim delay is something that can be caled out with JTEC/OBD2. The ultimate AFR can be adjusted via fuel pressure. Not sure of your set up but I`ve found ~ 42psi to be a happy medium.

Another couple of thoughts. Again don't know your set up but I`ll throw this out for consideration.

You got the dizzy in sync with the crank. Have you tried adjusting it to sync with the cam ?

.....Not technically correct terminology but the end result mirrors the cam timing and fuel delivery..........

With the engine running in closed loop you rotate the dizzy back and forth and let the engine tell you where the sweet spot is. Its only a few degrees back and forth but those few degrees will optimize how the engine runs and might even give you a bit of the low end your might be missing.

Another trick that is used successfully is to drill a small hole in the throttle plate to help the IAC with coast down and idle transition. Start with a number 40 bit and progressively work up from there. You will hear and feel a smoother transition to IAC control. Some folks have done the same thing with the throttle stop. That isn't (IMHO) the way to do it as you're inducing a minute amount of freeplay in the cable and could potentially be changing the TPS output voltage.

Personally not a fan of MAP voltage adjusters.
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Mike B »

I've hit about 500 miles finally, this thing runs great. It pulls really well around 2,500 rpms. Ill do the oil change when I have a drier, warmer day. Currently snowing and below freezing. Its NY so next week will be warmer with the way things have been.