Distributor gear replacement options?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
GASnBRASS
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.1 / 250ci
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Distributor gear replacement options?

Post by GASnBRASS »

What are you guys doing for distributor gears when you swap in a new cam? I'm getting my mini-stroker back together with a mopar cam and a stock pressure/flow mopar replacement oil pump, and I cannot find an oem distributor gear anywhere. Only option that comes up is a Crown gear (from China?). I did find a NOS distributor for an '87-'88 cherokee (gear part numbers cross reference the same), but the roll pin hole in the new gear is not in the same spot so it allows too much vertical free play in the distributor shaft. Do I just reuse the old gear, take a chance on the crown gear, redrill a roll pin hole in the nos gear?

Original gear wear:

NOS gear:
GASnBRASS
Stroker Displacement: 4.1 / 250ci
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: Distributor gear replacement options?

Post by GASnBRASS »

If anyone has a recommendation for a high quality complete replacement distributor instead that would be helpful as well, thanks.
astjp2
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by astjp2 »

You can rock auto a distributor, check all of the part numbers and check amazon and ebay for quality rebuilds. If the distributor has too much play, just install a shim between the gear and dizzy housing. If the shaft goes up and down, it will affect the timing causing it to bounce around and run not run steady.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

If the distributor shaft goes up and down, it'll wear out the gear teeth very quickly.
The stock gear in that photo appears to be very good, with nothing more than a normal wear pattern, so you could reuse it.
It's unlikely that you'd find a brand new OEM distributor 20 years after the last Jeep 4.0 with a distributor was built, so a remanufactured unit may be the only option.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: