New 4.7 build, Got it running if thats what you'd call it please help!!!

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Bayside64
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

New 4.7 build, Got it running if thats what you'd call it please help!!!

Post by Bayside64 »

Man, I feel like a horses ass! I took my time and built a really nice engine. I mean I followed a receipt but still I did it right, I hope. I had some trouble with the distributor but indexed it a few times and i got her running on the 3rd or 4th try. She fires right up now, and she sounds pretty great, she'll even idle until she warms up. Even from first start she could be alittle smoother but no back firing, she idles, and responds good to throttle once you hear what sound like the choke kick off about 3 or 4 mins she wont idle, if I keep her running between 1,000 & 2,000 RPM shes smooth but if i hit the gas and rev her she responds sluggish, backfiring, then she seems to load up which makes it cough backfire and sluggish as well as hard to keep a constant RPM for a minute or 2 then it almost seems like the engine burns the fuel off then I can keep a steady rpm again.

I feel like a horses rear end because I did all this never thinking about everything being computerized and all the sensors. The last thing I rebuilt modified abit was a 1979 4X4 Dodge van, it wasnt 10% as computerized as this build. BTW This engine is a 1999 XJ, my problem is I don't know anything about adjusting the sensors or the computer or testing those thing for that matter so I couldn't begin to know how to fix this, are the testers expensive? What would I need? I did start reading up on testing the MAP sensor and I intend to keep reading because I can't really efford to hand it to a shop and say here I don't know what Im doing, Duh! You know what happens then LOL!!! Not reputable places. If anybody can give any suggestions I'd really appreciate it because I'm going to be at a loss very soon.

The only other thing I was wondering is this. When I indexed the dizzy, I had read about also setting the Cam position sensor inside the dizz. There is a hole in the CPS plate that lines up with the hole in the dizz, drop a nail or a punch in the hole to keep it from moving correct? I did that but there 4 holes in the plate I have. I dont remember 100% which is why I'm asking, was I supposed to line up the last hole in the plate with the hole in the distributor?

Like I said any pointers on where to look, what to buy to run tests and/or set adjustments, or who to bring it to if I cant get anywhere I'd really appreciate, I have around 4K into this and its a boat anchor right now LOL Thanks for reading even if you can't help me, Thank You........
optmaxx
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: New 4.7 build, Got it running if thats what you'd call it please help!!!

Post by optmaxx »

I think one hole is for the 2.5 and the other is for the 4.0 when indexing the dizzy. I believe hole you want is the one that lets you point the rotor to the #1 terminal (or the 5 o'clock position) on your dizzy is the one you want. Check out YouTube, there are plenty of how to videos.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: New 4.7 build, Got it running if thats what you'd call it please help!!!

Post by Cheromaniac »