Newbie Questions

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
jjtrou2072

Newbie Questions

Post by jjtrou2072 »

Complete Newbie Here so please bear with me.
I have an 05 TJ with 150K miles and I want to go ahead and get a head start on a stroker to pop in place when its time to retire the current engine.
I have tried to do some research on here but I get lost in the details very quickly. I would call myself a shade tree mechanic. I've done the basics such as swapping axles, lift kits, etc.. however I must admit that tearing into a motor and building a stroker does scare me a little.

End goal is a moderate stroker, nothing excessive.

First question, I plan on buying another engine from a wrecked Jeep so I can build it without affecting my DD. Other than matching up year models is there anything I should be looking for in a 4.0 engine to use as a base for a stroker build? It appears that I can pick up an 03-06 TJ 4.0 for around $3-400 locally.

Thanks for you input. If this question has already been asked please direct me to the thread.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by Cheromaniac »

All you need is an '02-'06 engine as a foundation. Building a stroker isn't any more complicated than doing a stock rebuild. The key is finding the right parts, a good machine shop, and a good engine builder (unless you DIY).
As far as parts go, I'd recommend our resident guru Russ Pottenger. He can also guide you through the rest of the build. It seems that you're looking for something similar to my 4.6L low buck stroker recipe.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: