No Oil to Rockers

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Capt Kirk
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

No Oil to Rockers

Post by Capt Kirk »

I thought I'd start a new thread to maybe help someone with what I found. To recap, I wasn't getting any oil up to the rockers with my fresh build
on the stand when I was priming the oil system. I pulled the head off today to get a closer look...no oil during prime to the top of the lifters. I have set of new lifters that I had in stock that I don't want to put in a running engine anymore and installed those...ran the prime and there was plenty of oil coming out through the top of them. I went to the parts store and will have a new set of lifters here tomorrow. I got the previous set of lifters from an online supplier...my first time dealing with this supplier. They may have started working after getting warmed up and pounding around but I'd rather have things working right on the stand. I guess the advice here is to be careful what you buy on line and prime your oil on the stand to make sure all is as it should be.
4.2 crank with 4 CW ground .010/.010, Bored .030, 0630 head, new hyper pistons, bearings, cam, bushings, lifters, gears and chain, MLS head gasket, oil pump, valve job, decked .020, block and head hot tanked.
Capt Kirk
Noob
Noob

Re: No Oil to Rockers

Post by Capt Kirk »

Was out o town at a seminar this week. Got my new Melling lifters installed and the head/rockers back on. Within seconds I had oil to the rockers. I contacted the dealer of that first set of lifters and they agreed to give me a refund upon receipt of the returned lifters. Not sure what the problem was with them but things are all good now.
4.2 crank with 4 CW ground .010/.010, Bored .030, 0630 head, new hyper pistons, bearings, cam, bushings, lifters, gears and chain, MLS head gasket, oil pump, valve job, decked .020, block and head hot tanked.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

Glad there was a happy ending, but it's a mystery why none of the previous set of lifters was allowing oil to go through. Manufacturing fault?
Capt Kirk
Noob
Noob

Post by Capt Kirk »

I don't know why they weren't working. I got them from an on-line supplier that I wasn't familiar with and was a brand I wasn't familiar with (DNJ Engine Components)...guess I figured a lifter was a lifter. I should have known better. I replaced them with Melling's and all's good now. Gonna throw a water pump on it and I'll be done...just need to figure out what I want to do with it now. Keep it or sell it. None of my jeeps are ready for an engine and I'm a bit hesitant with installing it into one of mine because I know zero about reprogramming an ECU to get the tune right. I don't want to turn a good running jeep into an electronic nightmare that I wouldn't know how to fix. I'm not sure if that would be the case but I'm assuming that the ECU isn't going to be getting the signals from a modified engine that it's expecting?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

That isn't a problem in '87-'90 Renix XJs and '91-'95 OBD 1 Jeeps, and probably OK in '96-'99 OBD 2 Jeeps too as long as you get the injector size right. Where it gets tricky is from '00+ where the engines used coil-on-plug ignition instead of a distributor, and different ECU programming of closed loop A/F ratios.
Capt Kirk
Noob
Noob

Post by Capt Kirk »

Cheromaniac wrote: March 30th, 2019, 7:25 am That isn't a problem in '87-'90 Renix XJs and '91-'95 OBD 1 Jeeps, and probably OK in '96-'99 OBD 2 Jeeps too as long as you get the injector size right. Where it gets tricky is from '00+ where the engines used coil-on-plug ignition instead of a distributor, and different ECU programming of closed loop A/F ratios.
I have a 97 Wrangler (manual trans) that's in great shape with about 110K miles on it...it runs great. I beleive injector size is published and I don't have a problem changing those out. Would I also need to change the throttle body with a larger one and have the intake hole machined larger to match? If so, would the ECU be "confused" if it saw a larger throttle body?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

The ECU won't care about a larger throttle body so go for it, and enlarge the plenum inlet to match. You'll love the sharper throttle response.