Hello......and help.

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Capt Kirk
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Hello......and help.

Post by Capt Kirk »

Hi all. I've been lurking here for quite some time and have learned a ton. I'm a Jeep guy and currently have 2 Wranglers and 2 Cherokee's on the road. I've been building stock 4.0's for several years now...a couple for myself and the rest were sold. A couple years ago, I got a 4.2 as a core and it was then that I decided to build a stroker. I had a few 4.0 blocks and heads in my inventory so off on the journey I went. I didn't need the engine for any particular reason...my Jeeps all run fine. I just thought it would be a fun project. I am now approaching the finish line and have run into a problem where I never imagined one could exist. My signature line describes the build but essentially everything is new. The cam is a stock grind, stock pushrods were cleaned, blown out and checked. I don't have calipers that will go that long but a rough measurement on them is 9 5/8". Stock rockers and new lifters. The engine is all together now and on the stand. Yesterday I added 1 gallon of oil and grabbed my dummy distributor chucked to a drill and began the oil priming process. The manual gauge located at the sender location and in a short time, came up to about 70 psi. I ran it for 5 minutes or so and oil never came up to the rockers. There was one rocker that did get a little drop of oil at the hole but that was short lived. I turn the engine with a socket while pumping and the valve train is moving as it should...just no oil. Oil pump is new as well. The only thing I can think of is that 1 gallon isn't enough to fill all the empty oil passages, filter...etc. Your thoughts on what's going on will be appreciated. Kirk
4.2 crank with 4 CW ground .010/.010, Bored .030, 0630 head, new hyper pistons, bearings, cam, bushings, lifters, gears and chain, MLS head gasket, oil pump, valve job, decked .020, block and head hot tanked.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998

Re: Hello......and help.

Post by SkylinesSuck »

I have heard several times about some plug not being installed at the end of the oil gallery or something? No experience personally but I've heard it mentioned with similar symptoms. Best of luck!
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

I've seen new lifter take some time to let oil up to the top of the engine.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

Try adding more oil. By the time you've lubricated the bottom end, filled the oil galleys, and primed the oil filter, there won't be much left out of one gallon to lubricate the top end.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Capt Kirk
Noob
Noob

Post by Capt Kirk »

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna pick up another gallon of oil today and try the easy fix first. I'm fairly certain I didn't forget the galley plug...the lifters are pumping up. As a test, I removed the rockers and pushrods from #1 and primed it while watching. Oil didn't come squirting out of the top of the lifters but they did pump up snug against the clips. I was careful putting the rockers back on...allowing time for the lifters to recompress, which they did. I'll add some more oil and report back. Kirk
4.2 crank with 4 CW ground .010/.010, Bored .030, 0630 head, new hyper pistons, bearings, cam, bushings, lifters, gears and chain, MLS head gasket, oil pump, valve job, decked .020, block and head hot tanked.
I6FAN
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.2
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by I6FAN »

Kirk, did you check fitment of oil pump body-to-mounting flange? Sometimes there's a ridge that interferes with flat seating of the oil pump. Check "Projects" A little 4.7 for the DD. It's currently an active topic under projects. A picture of what I'm describing is there. (couldn't figure out how to post the link to that topic...)
Capt Kirk
Noob
Noob

Post by Capt Kirk »

I6FAN. I somewhat recall a discussion about that topic when I was building stock 4.0's. I'm getting 70psi on a mechanical gauge at the sending unit
location. Wouldn't a slightly unseated oil pump reduce pressure since the it would be leaking even before it got to the gauge? I remember seeing an oil system schematic quite awhile ago but can't find one now...wish it had it. I'm not ruling your (or anyone's) thought out at the moment but I'm gonna start with the easiest first. I picked up another gallon of oil and will add that in a bit...need to wind down with a couple beverages after work before heading out to the shop. I'll report back with the results in a bit. Kirk
Capt Kirk
Noob
Noob

Post by Capt Kirk »

Well, dumped another gallon in (8 quarts total) and ran through two batteries on my cordless. I poured some oil on the lifters to fill them and the rest down the pushrod holes. I gave it a couple minutes and started the drill. Pressure came right up to 70-75 and tiny bubbles started gradually coming out of the pushrod holes in the rockers that were flooded with oil. When I stopped drilling, the bubbles stopped. Started the drill and the gradual release of tiny bubbles started again. This is weird. I know what the flow through pushrods is supposed to look like and these bubbles aren't even close. I reviewed my assembly pictures and the galley plug behind the timing cover is installed and I really don't think the oil pump is slightly unseated since I always dry fit things like this first to check for fitment.
My next thought is to pull the head off and start pulling lifters alternately while the drill is running to check for oil flow into the lifter holes. Hmmm, I just got a thought...does the oil pump pressurize the pressure sender (gauge) before or after the filter? The filter I have on it is new in box but it's been in inventory for years out in an unconditioned but protected environment...very cold, high humidity and high temps. I was planning on priming and then tossing the filter...not a filter I'd use on a driver. Could a ruined filter show good pressure on the gauge but prevent good flow after the filter...wish I had that oil diagram. Guess I'll hold off on pulling the head for now and spin on a new filter tomorrow...we'll see what happens. I plan on disposing of the filter and using the oil as bar oil for my chainsaw after I'm done priming. If I use the engine or sell it, I want to ensure it's well lubed and the oil filtered before it's initial start. Kirk
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

I don't believe you have an issue?, pressure is pressure, if you have any it's the same everywhere.
If you think the top of the engine gets "FLOODED" with oil think again, it sounds like the correct amount is getting to the top, the lifters may require some rapid (running) oscillation to flow as well, I'd fire it up!
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

Capt Kirk wrote: March 19th, 2019, 5:31 pm Well, dumped another gallon in (8 quarts total) and ran through two batteries on my cordless.
That's way more oil than you needed. The oil pan capacity with filter is 6 quarts.
Capt Kirk
Noob
Noob

Post by Capt Kirk »

Cheromaniac wrote: March 20th, 2019, 12:12 am
Capt Kirk wrote: March 19th, 2019, 5:31 pm Well, dumped another gallon in (8 quarts total) and ran through two batteries on my cordless.
That's way more oil than you needed. The oil pan capacity with filter is 6 quarts.
I know...I'm just going to drain it when I'm done with it on the stand.
Capt Kirk
Noob
Noob

Post by Capt Kirk »

IH 392 wrote: March 19th, 2019, 9:53 pm I don't believe you have an issue?, pressure is pressure, if you have any it's the same everywhere.
If you think the top of the engine gets "FLOODED" with oil think again, it sounds like the correct amount is getting to the top, the lifters may require some rapid (running) oscillation to flow as well, I'd fire it up!
I know it doesn't get "flooded" but there is supposed to be some flow to the top and what gets up there can certainly drain down faster. I'm coming up
on 60 years old and have never ran into something like this before. I can't fire it up, it's on the stand...my Jeeps are all running fine and I don't want to go through the effort of pulling a good engine to find out about this new build.
I hope you're right about not having an issue but I'd like to find out before I sell it or need to install it in one of my rigs. I'm in no hurry and I like a good mistery.
Capt Kirk
Noob
Noob

Post by Capt Kirk »

Came home for lunch and screwed a new filter on...still no good. Gonna pull the head this weekend...something's not right.