Poor man questions

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
JeeperJack
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Poor man questions

Post by JeeperJack »

"Might" be doing a poor mans stroker for my 2000 Cherokee. Anyone that has anyone done this does it have fatal spark knock? Can it run on 87 gas?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Poor man questions

Post by Russ Pottenger »

I would not recommend the typical “Poor Man” stroker recipe on 87 octane.

The problem is because of the stock 12cc-ish dish with the piston a mile down the cylinder, You lose any type of quench and will have a static around 9.5:1

I like others to cure this problem typically will trace the existing dish with a heavy radius cutter to increase the dish volume.
Then you’ll need to take about .035 off the deck of the block to bring the piston to a zero to positive deck.

In the end to do the poor mans stroker properly with the added machine work/costs it starts to nullify the advantages, and therefore your better off going to a properly specked out forged piston.

My .02
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Poor man questions

Post by Cheromaniac »

I agree with Russ. I built my original poor man's stroker back in 2004 when a set of forged pistons would cost $600+ and you could get a good used set of 4.2L rods for peanuts. The quench was high at 0.088" but I'd smoothed all the rough spots in the piston dishes and combustion chambers to reduce the risk of pinging. The static CR came in at 9.25:1 and it would run fine on 87 octane as long as I took it easy and it was a cool day. Typically I'd run the engine on 91 octane 'cause the ambient temp. was 100+*F for seven months/year. It ran strong right up to the time when I sold the Jeep some 2 years ago.

Since forged pistons have become more readily available at an affordable price (~$450 per set), it no longer makes sense to build the original poor man's stroker, hence the modified version posted on my site. If you want to keep the build simple and inexpensive, that's the way to go.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: