Why is it hard to find a good stroker build?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
jeep4lyfe
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wj

Why is it hard to find a good stroker build?

Post by jeep4lyfe »

I have a 2001 wj 4.0 I want to build a stroker. It will be my first engine build so im a little hesitant. Current motor has 177xxx miles and i want to upgrade. I am looking to spend 2-3k What should i do to it and what parts should i get to turn it from a 4.0 to a 4.6 stroker. I may even leave that motor in it and buy a junk yard motor and do it to that one, then swap the motors when im finished. Please help my with parts and brands i should use and anything else that can help. Thank you.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Why is it hard to find a good stroker build?

Post by Cheromaniac »

Stroker builds aren't hard to find, and we're very fortunate to have our own resident engine-building, parts supplying, and stroker agony uncle in the shape of Russ Pottenger.

If your current motor still runs strong, has good oil pressure, doesn't leak, and doesn't smoke, I'd suggest you buy a decent junkyard '99--'04 WJ motor to build, and either keep your existing motor as a spare or sell it on.

It's nigh on impossible to build a stroker for under two grand so you've at least set a realistic budget. It'll be easier to guide you if you can tell us what type of use your stroker is likely to see so that the build can be tailored accordingly.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
jeep4lyfe
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: wj

Post by jeep4lyfe »

Im not looking for a mudding or rock climbing jeep. Just a everyday driver with a stronger motor then the 4.slow
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

Russ is based in CA so if you live fairly close, you could hire him to build the engine for you. Otherwise, you could order the parts from him and assign the engine-building task to your nearest trusty tech. Here are Russ' contact details:

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California, 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

+1 for Russ
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Dino and Chris, Thanks for your forwarding your recommendation and kind words.

To the OP and others.
My stroker kits tend to gravitate towards upper tier builds.
But with that said I’ll work very hard to custom tailor a kit to anyone’s application and budget.

One of the keys to the successful outcome of a stroker build Is to formulate a good recipe of parts and components that Dino so eloquently has formulated over the years on his website.

With the upgrade potential of stroking a 4.0 I don’t ever see a reason to build a stock displacement 4.0.
I’ve only built 2 in 15 years. :D
HCE
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by HCE »

Built one for a 2004. Used clegg kit with icon 944 pistons. Used stock rods out of donor engine also 2004. Zero decked the block, actually came out
.010 above. Balanced the rotating assembly. On the head chamber was increased 5cc keep compresion in check. This was about 0 deck, and the 944 piston that match the cumbustion chamber better then the lower compression pistons offered, theory is better quench, higher compression, less chance of pinging. Also larger valves, 1.65ex and 2.0 int I think in size. Tupy head casting. They were magnum replacement valves. Used ls retainers and stock springs. Ebay header number 4 or 5 tube took some massaging. All cats stll in place. Bored throttle body, 27lb injectors, acts the same with the stock 22lb injectors. Has stock engine manners, with more power. Cam is a delta regrind and uses the retaining plate instead of the ball and spring. Fun vehicle to drive, just took the family 400 miles across Montana. Dead reliable actually its the wifes daily driver. I have cam specs and valve sizes recorded somewhere.
HCE
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by HCE »

Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

That's a nice, well thought out stroker build. :rockout: