Somebody explain this behavior

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L Super
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: American
Vehicle Model: Eagle

Somebody explain this behavior

Post by DaemonForce »

Since building the stroker, I have torn apart this drivetrain and the electrical system several times chasing a no-start. No spark. I have changed several crank sensors and I know there's no possible way they're all bad. The only time this ever wants to fire off is when shorting the pins on the ASD relay box. This delivers spark to every cylinder but it's stumbling and misfiring. What is so special about these ASD pinouts and what does this indicate needing replacement?
   ,__,_____,__,       ~A-M-C YA!
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
,l_/¯\_l__ll__l__/¯\(¤≡¤)
   (o))o))        (o))o))
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Somebody explain this behavior

Post by SkylinesSuck »

I would check my harness next. Or just replace it. I did. Fixed my issue with the same symptoms.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Look at a wiring schematic.

ASD isn't anything special. It just delivers 12 volts to the FP relay and anything else under the hood that uses 12volts. :huh:
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by DaemonForce »

The wiring is fresh, I'm the one that assembled it. When the bulkhead is connected, the ASD keeps losing power while cranking but not from key on. When disconnecting the bulkhead and jumpering the pinouts, I can get the engine to fire off perfectly without any need to jumper the ASD relay system. I've tried changing the ignition switch to fix this behavior and there's no difference. How can I get this to come on from the key?
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
   (o))o))        (o))o))
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

What year/vehicle? I know on TJ's this is commonly caused by errant grounds in the harness i.e. the O2 sensor wiring melting and grounding out. I think several other sensor's grounding out do this. Do you have a FSM?
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

What is this bulkhead you mention?
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by DaemonForce »

It's a 1983 Eagle wagon. I truncated all of the older relay+breadboard systems that go to defunct emissions and cruise control and integrated the ignition harness for a 1996 Cherokee. This all uses the factory CJ style bulkhead connector. I short pinouts CU+FW(_12v from+to IGN/SW) to set the RUN position and short pinout EX to engage the starter and it fires up perfectly. The problem I have is when the bulkhead is assembled and joins power to the steering column and the rest of the car, the ignition switch is closing the ASD relay in the RUN position but not the START position. There is no ballast or intermediate circuitry in this harness.
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
   (o))o))        (o))o))
GreenYJ
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1994

Post by GreenYJ »

I'm sure you already know this but you need power to the asd when cranking. Don't assume anything, check at ignition switch and at other connections along the way to asd. Electrical problems....good times.
1994 Sahara YJ
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by DaemonForce »

I've just discovered the problem after having a strange dream about this where I was thinking about the connector. I can short the pins from the bulkhead and it will fire off. It will stumble a bit but it will run. So why not try it from the switch since that's exactly what it does?

I made a triple spade jumper for +12v in to +12v out then tapping the START terminal. With a burst of thick exhaust fumes it stumbles and fires off real strong. This tells me my wiring is GREAT, spark is good and that most if not every switch has enough resistance that they're dropping CURRENT. I have a spare ignition switch from the previous owner, presumably from another Eagle and I've already tried using that but have the same result where I'm cranking and cranking without it catching. Does it make sense to buy a NEW ignition switch or am I likely to face the same problem behavior?
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
   (o))o))        (o))o))