jeep stroker newbie here!!!!

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
pineysautomotive
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

jeep stroker newbie here!!!!

Post by pineysautomotive »

Hi all!!!! Been reading these forums for quite some time and have finally signed up and this is my first post!
Im collecting my parts for my stroker build. They are as follows:
94 4.0 block and head from my yj wrangler.
Will be using stock 4.0 rods
scat 9-4.2l-3895 crankshaft
comp cl68-235-4 cam and lifters
standard sealed power rod, main, and cam bearings
s.a. gear timing set
mellings standard volume oil pump
felpro (not mls) head gasket kit
front and rear seals and all other misc gaskets are felpro as well

Things I still need to purchase are:
pistons
rings
valve springs
injectors
throttle body
header
1. Ok now as for pistons, I have read all the stories and different setups used on the builds here. One that I cant seem to track down is a piston that doesnt require the block to be decked to achieve the proper compression ratio. I have read here that russ potenger pistons are the go to pistons. This may in fact be the route i have to take. My 2 questions for that are:
1. Are the russ potenger pistons a no mess (no deck) piston? As in are they basically a drop in piston that does not require ccing or block decking?
2.Are their non forged pistons available that dont require all the block decking and ccing of the piston to have them be right?
ive read on here about the kb pistons and others having full circle dishes that Ive learned are bad as well as having to have the block decked to achieve the proper piston height.
Forged pistons are awesome.. yes in deed. But this motor will never be drag raced, boosted, or even spun above 5000 rpm purposely. Forged pistons just seems like extreme overkill for a mall crawler lol.
Or is the fact that the pistons that fit the 4.0 rods are in fact "custom pistons" that they are typically forged? I would have assumed that since this method is so aged now that there would be off the shelf pistons available with the proper dish and height. I would really like to avoid having to have pistons machined after purchasing and having the block decked and getting longer pushrods and all that "custom" stuff. I would like this to be as standard replacement as possible for future repairability.
2. rings. is moly rings the hands down best solution for the jeep stroker builds?
3. valve springs- Ive learned on here that getting proper springs can be somewhat troublesome with higher lift cams.
Is there a replacement valve spring available for the lift of the cam I'm installing that does not require special machine work or special locks and retainers? If memory serves the highest lift is .493
4. injectors- I've learned that 24 lb mustang injectors are the injector of choice for this build. My question is: What year mustang do I need to be purchasing injectors for? from what I've read they are basiclly direct replacement in fit and connector style.
5. throttle body. Ive seen some threads with using 4.7 dodge throttle bodies and such but which throttle body is winning as far as the most pain free installation and tunabililty?
6. header. Is there a favorite among the stroker crowd? I plan to upgrade the exhaust pipe diameter and muffler (no converter) during the install.
My ultimate goal is to have a reliable engine that will run on midgrade fuel without issues. I'm not opposed to building a "premium fuel only" as i will more than likely run 93 octane fuel in it anyway but it would be nice to have the wiggle room..
So theres my story! I'm looking forward to the expert's opinions and critiques!! All your input will be greatly appreciated!
-Piney
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: jeep stroker newbie here!!!!

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Hi Piney,

Application and budget are the two most common considerations when choosing the components of a kit.

I do offer a custom on the shelf 4.6 and 4.7 4032 alloy forged piston and a complimentary bushed steel connecting rod that allows you the option to do a minimum cleanup surface to the deck of the block or nothing at all. I have over 20 dish variations that in part allows adjustments to help achieve your desired static compression ratio.

I’ll be happy to offer additional input on the rest of your component selections.
Feel free to shoot me a call or email.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California, 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]