Straight 6 stroker VS AMC 360

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Straight 6 stroker VS AMC 360

Post by BcurpKodiak »

Hello everyone.

I love my 4.7 I built with the help of Russ P. It has been an absolute dream, has never let me down, is really well tuned and makes gobbs of power. Anyone that rides with me is very surprised.

I now have a 1987 J20 in great shape. Just trying to do a fairly cheap "resto-mod". Not super excited about the 360, it already needs a little work. Only 76,000 original miles by the way. Has some typical oil issues that I'm not a fan of. I bought this thing to tow my XJ. Couldn't pass up the chance at towing my Jeep with a Jeep.

I'm getting a parts Cherokee if I go AMC v8 or Stroker, and putting the AW4/231 behind either most likely. It will be manually controlled with no TCM just like my XJ. One huge problem is I have a lot of options in front of me. Looking at ease and cost though. I have a line on a GM NV4500 for $300, and a 65K mile 5.3L LS for $500 and crap like that.

Anyway, one problem causing this dilemma is my familiarity with the I6 stroker and having extra parts and tools laying around, including the 4.0L on the stand with a 0630 head sitting in my garage from when I swapped the stroker into my XJ.

Whatever engine's going into my J20 is going to be carb'd. I also have a Parts J10 with a 258 I'll rob the crank from and engine mounts (among other things).

With a stock 0630 head on a 4.5L stroker (bores in 4.0L look amazing, no ridge, honing visible), the right cam (stock 99+ intake with carb adapted to it, stock exhaust manifold) can I make about 250 hp and AT LEAST 300 lb ft?? I only want to rev it to stock RPM limit around 5200 (My XJ sees 6400 RPM every time it gets driven in case anyone says "well yea any stroker should only spin to 5200 max)
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress

Re: Straight 6 stroker VS AMC 360

Post by BcurpKodiak »

bringing this back up to ask a question rather than start another thread.

I'm after as much torque as I can reasonably make. What do you think is the best header for TQ? I'll be using the 99+ horseshoe intake with a carb.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

There's very little to choose between the aftermarket headers power wise. Just go for a good quality stainless steel header that won't give you fitment issues. Behind the header, you'll need a mandrel bent downpipe that's at least 2.5" in diameter.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by BcurpKodiak »

I am familiar with exhaust in general. My 4.7 stroker has a doug thorley header with a 3" pipe and no cats or muffler

I'm curious if there's any real data on what commercially produced header makes the best torque. My research into straight 6 manifolds tells me ones that go 6 into 2 outlets provide the best performance (2000+ style, clifford, pacesetter etc without merging them). But that all appeared to be word of mouth with no real data
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

First I would consider whether or not a stroker could really be a suitable replacement for the stock 360. Don't look at just peak TQ, but overlay the graphs and see what does what at what rpm. If you are towing with it, I'd be looking real hard down around 1.5k-2.5k rpm. Just guessing the 360 is going to have an edge there. Then look at how much time/money each will cost to get running and in the shape you want. Does the 360 need a rebuild? Lastly, potential mods down the road. An N/A stroker isn't going to get much meaner, but I'd guess there is more aftermarket support and potential in the 360. If you are going to carb it (or may I suggest EFI/TBI conversion) anyways, that opens up more potential motor swaps like a junkyard LS or Magnum 360. Just throwing stuff out there.