XJ over landing to stroke or swap

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Jdrake789
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

XJ over landing to stroke or swap

Post by Jdrake789 »

I’m new here so forgive me. I have an 98 XJ highly modified except for motor. I do a lot of trail riding and over landing I have an overland trailer that I pull. There is some highway pulling but most of the time I’m at slower speeds and low rpms. My question is would a striker build be good for me or should I be looking for a 4bt diesel swap. Would rather stay with the same motor I have but I need some low rpm torque. Any information will be helpful.
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: XJ

Re: XJ over landing to stroke or swap

Post by BcurpKodiak »

A stroker is going to be easier than any engine swap to a non original engine. I take my XJ way off the beaten path in Alaska. I built a stroker because I wanted a supercharger, but wanted it on a fresh engine and couldn't afford both. So I built as radical a stroker as I could and I have zero regrets. I also like a radical high compression engine.

So about taking it off the beaten path, while I was in there I replaced a lot of sensors and the fuel pump. So now there's a lot of stuff I don't have to worry about for a while. The jeep has been ultra reliable. If/when you need parts the majority of them are still found out auto parts stores which is nice.

I would build a stroker, and if you're not re-geared appropriately I would knock that out too. I personally always go with more gear than needed. If 4.56 sounds just right, go 4.88. I have 33's and 5.13's and I love it, but not if i was a DD that saw over 60 mph. That tire/gear combo and my stroker makes it feel like it would wheelie
Cummins90
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by Cummins90 »

Any thoughts on turbocharging? Power on demand, good efficiency.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Unfortunately turbocharging will add little or no boost torque below ~2000rpm. The best route to boosting lower rpm torque is stroking the engine, which adds displacement and increases the static compression ratio. A cheaper alternative is to swap in a shorter duration camshaft without disturbing the short block, but that trades away higher rpm torque and the increase in lower rpm torque is less than what you'd get with a stroker.
Then again, you could do both and something like this might suit your needs.

4.6L Low-buck, low CR "rockcrawler"

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Custom forged +0.030" bore pistons, compression height 1.380", dish volume 32cc
8.8:1 CR
CompCams 68-115-4 192/200 degree camshaft
DIY ported HO 1.91"/1.50" 57cc cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.043" quench height
Bosch 0280155703 injectors for '96-'04 engines
242hp @ 4600rpm, 317lbft @ 3000rpm
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Cummins90
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by Cummins90 »

I get appx 5psi at 2244rpm on a super 20G/TD06H turbine housing (10cm). A TD05 (8cm) housing is also available. When I install the smaller housing I'll post the new figures. I bet I can get useful boost below 2k for the rock crawler peoples.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by BcurpKodiak »

Yea can't really say you wont get any use below 2k rpm without even talking about the size of the turbo.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

And it depends on the gear you are in and the loading. And the intended use. Do you need more power for pushing big tires while crawling? Turbo probably won't be your ticket. Help maintaining 70mph at 1800rpm WOT going uphill in 5th? Absolutely.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

BcurpKodiak wrote: September 23rd, 2018, 1:00 pm Yea can't really say you wont get any use below 2k rpm without even talking about the size of the turbo.
Yeah it does indeed depend on the size of the turbo. To get useful boost below 2000rpm, it would have to be smaller than the ones typically used in Jeep 4.0L turbo kits so it would have to be a custom set up.
Many modern turbodiesels have variable geometry turbos that provide full boost from as low as 1500rpm with minimal lag, and behave like a bigger turbo at higher rpm so you get the best of both worlds. Might be something to look into.
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by BcurpKodiak »

Those variable vanes sound complicated. They're electronically controlled and require quite a few signal inputs to operate.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Holsets for example. They are doing amazing stuff with the variable vane tech.