Stroker rebuild or not?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Blzrd
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Stroker rebuild or not?

Post by Blzrd »

I want a motor with a little more power with just as much reliability. Is a stroker going to last me 150k miles? 220k miles on this stock motor and no compression loss or bad oil pressure this is more of a project refresh. I guess my serious question is how much reliability am i going to suffer with a stroker build? Should i just go bored .050 with stock crank and performance heads, upgrade injectors, maybe a stage one cam. This is going to be a cross country driver traveling through extreme temperatures so obvioulsy im adding in and oil cooler. Oh and the tranny was just rebuilt. Any experience on extremely (un)reliable stroker builds out there? i hear alot of " they wont last over 50k miles". Lets get some good anecdtoes in here.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Re: Stroker rebuild or not?

Post by Cheromaniac »

I did 86k miles on my stroker before I sold my Jeep. The new owner has added another 6k and it's still going strong.
The moral of the story is that if the stroker engine is built with attention to detail and good quality parts, it should run reliably and last as long as the original 4.0.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Blzrd
Vehicle Year: 1989

Post by Blzrd »

Cheromaniac wrote: September 8th, 2018, 9:10 am I did 86k miles on my stroker before I sold my Jeep. The new owner has added another 6k and it's still going strong.
The moral of the story is that if the stroker engine is built with attention to detail and good quality parts, it should run reliably and last as long as the original 4.0.
thats what i always thought too but i wanted others experience with it. ofcourse im going to be using quality fluids, upgraded water pump and tranny cooler. any other reliability mod i can get out of it, im going to do. Thanks for the input!
LewisRan

Post by LewisRan »

That makes a lot of sense, Bldrd. If you're gonna do it, do it correctly and use the high-quality stuff. You'll appreciate it later.
There are many supporters of Crazy Bulk out there.