4.2 Crank and Flex Plate and 700R4

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
jamesgrammer
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: YJ

4.2 Crank and Flex Plate and 700R4

Post by jamesgrammer »

I have a 4.2 crank that I put in my 4.0L to build a stroker. I am also converting it to an automatic using a 700R4 and teh advanced adapter set up for it. THe problem I have is that the kit is for a 4.0L conversion not a stroker conversion. I have the 4.2L crank that is the variable. When I was mating up the transmission with the adapter kit it seems like the (92)flex plate that I am using is offset a bit and the crank position sensor is off a bit, maybe 1/16" and the starter that I have is too short to engage the flex plate properly. I am fairly new at this and there isn't a lot of information on a stroker 700R4 conversion. I am looking for any information. Thanks :banghead:
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: 4.2 Crank and Flex Plate and 700R4

Post by IH 392 »

The crank shaft makes no difference, the issue lies elsewhere, reading the description of the adapter kit it sounds like you may have the wrong flex plate?
Not sure why they list two kits for AMC to GM pukeomatic??, there are two starter offsets on the AMC/Jeep, but its a year deal on the flywheel/flexplate, not the crank?
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
jamesgrammer
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: YJ

Post by jamesgrammer »

Here is the flexplate that I am using what would you recommend?
Auto Trans Flexplate ATP Z-338 fits 91-95 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L-L6
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

Advance says what trans flex plate to use, that # only seems to say what engine it's used on??, a call to Advance Adapters may be in order.

The cranks don't cause any issue?, we've been using the flywheel/flexplate that goes with the trans we're using and there seems to be no issues?
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel