Dipping my toes in...

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Rockdrummer93
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Dipping my toes in...

Post by Rockdrummer93 »

Okay So I am new to this forum and to the 4.0 performance world. I own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee on tons and 40s, pretty much the works. except for the motor. I've been wanting a power upgrade for a while now but don't want to deal with the added weight and strain of a v8. I'm getting a good 99+ 4.0 from a buddy of mine for a good price and was wanting to pretty much do a 4.5L stroker with the 4.0 pistons and 4.2 crank, good cam and possible though an Eaton M90 on it as well.

so after some searching and with all that said above here is what I'm wanting to know. How reliable is the 4.5L stroker or any stroker of that matter. Is the set up I am shooting for a decant one? Is there anything else I need to know or look into purchasing for all of this? Is the urban legend of 4.0 strokers being hard to keep cool and run right true? Is Bigfoot real? What about race gas?

This is Jeep is mainly a crawler but becomes a wannabe rock bouncer on some stubborn trails. I don't need a bazillion horsepower but I do want a good bit more when needed. Just wanting to squeeze as much reliable ponies out of a 4.0 that I can and not have to worry about rebuilding it after every trip. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Re: Dipping my toes in...

Post by Cheromaniac »

Chevy LS V8 engines are dime a dozen so don't rule out the option of a V8 swap entirely. You get the advantages of 300+hp, a 100lb lighter engine, and bulletproof reliability. The disadvantages are mating it to the appropriate tranny and making everything needed to complete the swap fit properly.
As far as building a stroker goes, there are two basic considerations in your case:

1. A stock bore stroker isn't going to work for you if you combine the wear of 19-year-old cylinder bores with forced induction. The chances of oil blowby are pretty high so it's best to rebore the cylinders from the outset.

2. I'd strongly recommend forged pistons and they're affordable at less than $500 per set. Cast or hypereutectic pistons don't tolerate much detonation and would be a false economy.

You could buy an off-the-shelf complete stroker engine but you'd be better off having one built from a good donor 4.0 engine (which you already have). Our resident stroker guru Russ Pottenger is based in CA so he could either build the engine for you if you live close by, or supply you with the necessary parts if you live far away.
Reliability depends on the engine builder and the quality of the parts used. As far as running hot, that's not an issue provided the cooling system is in good shape. The commonest mistakes people make is either using a radiator with insufficient cooling capacity, or swapping in electric fans that flow insufficient air. My stroker only ran above 210*F when the outside temperature was near 120*F.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Rockdrummer93

Post by Rockdrummer93 »

Thanks for the info.. I haven't totally thrown out the idea of an LS but frankly I am trying to not go that route. really do to the fact that everyone does them. I'm wanting to build a 4.0 because though its not very rare its not done a whole lot especially on a rig like mine at least not that I've seen. Plus I have rebuilt and upgraded almost every thing on this Jeep myself except for the motor and have kinda been wanting to take on the challenge though what you are saying is that having it built by a motor building pro would probably be the most reliable way to go. Still a lot to think about and plan before (if) I start on this. But what you're saying is 4.6 built well with good parts will be about just a reliable as in stock form? I mean whereabouts I know once you start messing with anything no matter what you do there is always a chance. I just don't want to be running into issues after I've towed this thing 4+ hours for a wheeling trip just to load it back up and come home do to something stupid.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Dino as usual is spot on with his advice and perspective.
When you get a chance visit his site. You'll find a lot of good information there

A Jeep Stroker with the proper parts, along with accurate and precise machine work with attention to detail during the assembly process be every bit as reliable as the factory 4.0 engines. Add one of my ported heads and intake's, and it'll bridge the gap between a stock 4.0 and a V-8 swap.

Feel free to contact me and I would be happy to send you information and pricing on my kits and products.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]
Rockdrummer93

Post by Rockdrummer93 »

So I know I started this post a while back but a few things have changed. I ended up with a 4.7 short block for some tires I had. Motor seems to be in good shape. Though I will need a new cam shaft cause it was removed and all the lifters scattered in the crate. My new plan right now is to have it rebuilt fresh, new cam and possibly a aluminum head. Main question now. I was talking to a guy at Newcomer racing that builds a lot of high powered i6s and he kept stressing a goof oil system would make it the most reliable for high angled trail situations. What upgrades are out there. I figured he was talking about a dry sump but after some research those pose their own set of problems as well. What all have yall done to upgrade the oil system on these motors?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Moroso makes a good and affordable oil pan that’s fully baffled and will clear the M167HVS oil pump without any massaging.

That would be my recommendation.