4.6 stroker with turbo

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
greynolds17
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

4.6 stroker with turbo

Post by greynolds17 »

so this will be my first stroker build, i have some experience with rebuilding engines, but this will be the first 4.0. anyways i have a good idea of what i need but i still have some questions.

1. i want to run a turbo at about 10-12 psi, what compression ratio should i look for with that? and should i O ring the block?

2. should i port and polish the head? don't have much experience doing head work other than replacing valve train parts.

3. what should i look for in cam specs? or should i just call comp and get a custom grind

4. before you ask, no i'm not building this engine to be fast, although it could be. i'm looking for low to mid-range power because i still will be wheeling this but i wanted to do something that most people don't.

5. is it possible to get equal or better gas mileage than what i'm currently getting? (18 ish)? i know turbos tend to increase efficiency and i've heard people doing the same with a stroker but i'm not sure how the two combined would be along with the extra power.

6. should i get a stroker kit and swap some of the parts or piece it together separately? this is going to be a long project since i have other things to do as well as don't get much time off, and even after the engine is built it wont be in my jeep until i get another vehicle to drive

7. Can this work well on pump gas? how should i avoid detonation with something like this?

8. last question and probably the hardest part of the build, how should I go about tuning? aftermarket ecu? keep the jeep one and get it tuned? i know the jeep ecu isnt easy at all to work with
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 4.6 stroker with turbo

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Building a reliable turbo Jeep Stroker isn't a problem.

I do offer a custom turbo piston. On gasoline you'll want to keep the static compression ratio around 8.0:1
Cometic makes a MLS gasket that eliminates the need to o-ring the block and use a copper head gasket.

I keep on the shelf a Nitrided cam that Comp makes for me that works great on boosted applications.

I also have a ported cylinder head that would complement this package.

Feel free to shoot me out an email at a be happy to send you some information.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]