First start on stroker Very lean

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
jeepcomanche
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: comanche

First start on stroker Very lean

Post by jeepcomanche »

New to this forum guys so if this has already been covered I am sorry, I searched and searched but couldn’t find anything related to my issue. I just finished putting together my stroker: 92 block and head, block bored .030 over, head decked, ported and polished, matched intake, everything has been rebuilt, replaced and reseated all of the valves. 4.2 crank, 4.0 rods, race tech pistons, adjustable fpr, Ford 24# injectors, stock fuel pump, comp 68-232-4 cam, 9.5:1 compression. The problem I am having is that I am trying to break the new engine in, but the exhaust header glows red after just a couple minutes of constant rpms which to me was a sign that it was running very lean. I would like to get this issue resolved before I attempt to fire it back up again to finish the break in procedure. I have a fuel pressure gage mounted directly on the rail and it reads right around 20# when priming and hovers around 25# when running at 2200rpm. I have played with the hesco adjustable fpr and it does not work whatsoever. So now my question is; is it my fuel pump that is not supplying enough fuel pressure? Or something else? I did pull a plug btw and it was just starting to get some white on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: First start on stroker Very lean

Post by Cheromaniac »

Yeah it does indeed look like the fuel pump isn't supplying enough fuel to keep the engine happy.
Before you replace the pump, make sure the fuel filter isn't clogged up and check that the fuel line on the supply side isn't kinked.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
jeepcomanche

Post by jeepcomanche »

Okay thanks, the fuel filter is new but I will check that I can blow through it, and the line is not kinked as I have temporarily replaced it with rubber hose for the time being since the plastic line was leaking.
jeepcomanche

Post by jeepcomanche »

Another question, should the fuel pressure at the rail be around 40 psi while priming the lines? And should it hold that pressure upon startup?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

Make sure you didn't install the fuel filter backwards. It's a long shot but you never know.
The fuel pressure should be around 30-31psi with the vacuum line attached to the regulator both when you prime the system and when the engine's running. Sounds like a new fuel pump is on the cards.