Too much power for stock transmission?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
bmax998
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: G.Cherokee

Too much power for stock transmission?

Post by bmax998 »

Alright, newbie here, just starting out my build. I’ve looked all around this forum for answers and still have yet to find a real definitive answer.
So I’m lookng to build the 4.6L Low-Buck Stroker, heres the recipe:

4.6L low-buck stroker
Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Custom forged +0.030" bore pistons, compression height 1.380", dish volume 18cc
9.6:1 CR
CompCams 68-231-4 206/214 degree camshaft
Russ Pottenger ported HO 2.00"/1.55" 62cc cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.043" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with adjustable FPR or MAP adjuster for '87-'95 engines, Ford 24lb/hr injectors for '96-'04 engines, '99-'00 Chevy LS1 26.2lb/hr injectors for '05-'06 engines
268hp @ 4900rpm, 326lbft @ 3500rpm

And i have the 42re auto trans in my 96 ZJ. Now with that much hp and torque, will be fine keeping my stock transmission? I’m just worried here that i’ll be driving and i’ll go to lay on it to get up to speed or i’ll be rippin on a trail and my trans will go. I don’t want to pull it to rebuild and if all possible I do not want to swap it out for a different trans. So will I be alright? If not, are there other drivetrain mods I can do so that there isnt so much stress on the trans? Thanks in advance for the help, it’s MUCH appreciated.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Too much power for stock transmission?

Post by Cheromaniac »

Keep the stock tranny and just install an auxiliary tranny fluid cooler on the return side from the stock unit. Heat is the enemy of an auto tranny so keeping the fluid cooler will prolong its life. You can also install a trans. temp. gauge to monitor things.
Here's another tip. When stopped at traffic lights or in non-moving traffic, keep the tranny selector in P or N rather than D so that you don't have the torque converter spinning and generating heat at a time when there's no cooling airflow under the tranny.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
bmax998
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: G.Cherokee

Re: Too much power for stock transmission?

Post by bmax998 »

Cheromaniac wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 3:50 am Keep the stock tranny and just install an auxiliary tranny fluid cooler on the return side from the stock unit. Heat is the enemy of an auto tranny so keeping the fluid cooler will prolong its life. You can also install a trans. temp. gauge to monitor things.
Here's another tip. When stopped at traffic lights or in non-moving traffic, keep the tranny selector in P or N rather than D so that you don't have the torque converter spinning and generating heat at a time when there's no cooling airflow under the tranny.
Thank you for the advice! That was just what needed for some peace of mind about the transmission.