Heat shielding for intake and exhaust?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Number21
Stroker Displacement: 4.0L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Heat shielding for intake and exhaust?

Post by Number21 »

I don't have a stroker, but, if I ask a performance question on a normal Jeep forum they tend to freak out...

I have a 1998 4.0 Cherokee, and I want to replace the exhaust system entirely. I plan on using a header (undecided on brand) with a custom 2.5" front pipe, high flow cat, muffler, 2.5" tailpipe, etc. Have to get rid of that god awful factory downpipe.

Since I've got to take off the intake to install the header, I might as well upgrade to the '99+ style intake manifold, bored TB, and a new set of the 4 hole injectors. (190,000 miles I'm sure my old injectors aren't working at 100%) Yeah, I know, not going to be 1,000hp, but it should breathe much better.

I'd really love to insulate both the exhaust and the intake to reduce both intake and underhood temperatures. For the header, I would like to wrap it with header insulation. I don't want to send the manifolds away anywhere to be ceramic coated.

First, I'm wondering if this product from Eastwood would be good for coating the inside of a header in addition to an external wrap?
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-hi-te ... ozzle.html

With that in mind, would it make sense to use the same coating on the inside of the intake manifold? Also, if I coat the outside of the intake manifold with a ceramic coating, would it make sense to only coat the bottom half, or do the entire thing?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Re: Heat shielding for intake and exhaust?

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Haven't had any experience with the Eastwood product, but seems too gimmicky to me. Don't see how I could properly be done much less hold up over a period of time.
Since you haven't bought your header yet I would purchase one that is coated both on the inside and outside.

Do Not use a wrap on your header. It retains moisture and eventually your header will rust and fall apart.

Using a heat barrier tape or product on the underside of the intake couldn't hurt, but I would resist put anything inside the Plenum or Runners of your Intake manifold.
Number21
Stroker Displacement: 4.0L
Vehicle Year: 2001

Post by Number21 »

Russ Pottenger wrote: May 15th, 2018, 7:32 am Haven't had any experience with the Eastwood product, but seems too gimmicky to me. Don't see how I could properly be done much less hold up over a period of time.
Since you haven't bought your header yet I would purchase one that is coated both on the inside and outside.
I'm not sure how the product is different than high temp ceramic paint, but probably not a lot, maybe thicker. In my experience the high temp paint usually holds up quite well, and even a thin layer of paint provides better thermal insulation than bare metal. Eastwood products tend to be pretty good quality, and it does have a bunch of 5 star reviews. I definitely wouldn't use it on a used header, but something brand new shouldn't have any adhesion problems.

Ceramic coated headers tend to be MUCH more expensive, and I'm not putting a $500 header on a 20 year old Jeep. I'm looking at several stainless headers under $200.
Russ Pottenger wrote: May 15th, 2018, 7:32 amDo Not use a wrap on your header. It retains moisture and eventually your header will rust and fall apart.
I really don't think that would be a problem on a stainless header, especially in the south where salted roads do not exist. I would put a layer of ceramic paint on the header first, every little bit helps, and, they even make high temp paint that is designed to go on top of header wrap to seal it. Header tape is going to have a much higher insulating value than even a professionally coated ceramic header could provide.
6sense
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: Grand cher

Post by 6sense »

Number21 wrote: May 15th, 2018, 2:37 am I don't have a stroker, but, if I ask a performance question on a normal Jeep forum they tend to freak out...

I have a 1998 4.0 Cherokee, and I want to replace the exhaust system entirely. I plan on using a header (undecided on brand) with a custom 2.5" front pipe, high flow cat, muffler, 2.5" tailpipe, etc. Have to get rid of that god awful factory downpipe.

Since I've got to take off the intake to install the header, I might as well upgrade to the '99+ style intake manifold, bored TB, and a new set of the 4 hole injectors. (190,000 miles I'm sure my old injectors aren't working at 100%) Yeah, I know, not going to be 1,000hp, but it should breathe much better.

I'd really love to insulate both the exhaust and the intake to reduce both intake and underhood temperatures. For the header, I would like to wrap it with header insulation. I don't want to send the manifolds away anywhere to be ceramic coated.

First, I'm wondering if this product from Eastwood would be good for coating the inside of a header in addition to an external wrap? I’m useing this Eastwood product I don’t know how well it really works because I have no other reference.I will tell you it sprays like water direction say shake it around then pore out the extra.I used it on my banks torque tube.Like I said I have no reference.My Jeep Grand Cherokee has a m90 supercharger so I’m trying to keep things cooler
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-hi-te ... ozzle.html

With that in mind, would it make sense to use the same coating on the inside of the intake manifold? Also, if I coat the outside of the intake manifold with a ceramic coating, would it make sense to only coat the bottom half, or do the entire thing?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
astjp2
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by astjp2 »

Now the heat shield is a good solution, I just wish that angelfire website had better pics of how it was installed.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

I installed the heatshield with the intake manifold in place so unfortunately it's partially obscured in the pics. It'll become pretty obvious what you'll need to do when you look closely and take some measurements.
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.3
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: AMC/Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by Jeep-Power »

I use heat wrap on the exhaust and a sticky pad on the underside of the intake.

With the wrap- spend the extra & get Inferno Wrap from Heatshield Products. Any other wrap will get brittle and slowly turn to dust. Inferno Wrap stays soft an pilable. I can remove it and use it multiple times.

With the sticky pad - do as Cheromaniac's link suggests and use an additional mechanical devise ( wire or metal zip ties). The adhesive will dry out or cook off and the pad will fall off, otherwise.

Consider insulating the intake piping, as well.

The most helpful thing for lowering intake temps is a true cold air intake (CAI). Get the actual intake outside of the engine compartment - a world of difference!