1987 Jeep Comanche engine build

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
SatiricalHen
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

1987 Jeep Comanche engine build

Post by SatiricalHen »

I currently am in the planning process for the engine rebuild of my Comanche. I’m on the fence between mild stroker (still want to run 87 and keep all electronics stock) or “super 4.0” basically smashing all the best 4.0 parts together I can to get the best of all worlds. When I say super 4.0 I’m thinking renix block, 0720 head, 99+ Intake, and whatever the best year parts are as far as cam, and anything else. I don’t quite understand all of the math and numbers behind all of the engine builds, and really don’t want to mess this up. I’ve been told by the machine shop my Cherokee’s head is at I’d be looking at about $700 in machining and $350ish in parts to do a complete stock rebuild on the Comanche. I’d love to stay under $2000, but what do ya’ll think? I’d like for the Comanche to be a daily driver with somewhat decent mileage in the end.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Re: 1987 Jeep Comanche engine build

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Welcome to Jeep Stroker's.

My recommendation would be at the very minimum ditch 4.0 crankshaft and move up to a late 232 crankshaft that utilizes a 3.500 stroke. It's oftenly referred to as the "Mini" Stroker. Go to Dino's webpage, he has a very comprehensive breakdown of the various recipes that goes with this build.

I've done several Renix Stroker's upgrading to the 7120 head and 99 up Horseshoe style manifold. You'll need to run a later power steering bracket and decide whether or not you want to retain the EGR valve.

You're welcome to shoot me an email and I'll be happy to send you information on my Stroker kits with an optional 7120 ported head.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]
SatiricalHen

Post by SatiricalHen »

Email sent
SatiricalHen

Post by SatiricalHen »

Ended up going with
.030 over bore
Comp cam 68-115-4
7120 head
99+ intake
Volvo injectors
62mm throttle body

Now I’m back going to build a motor for my Cherokee.