Head scratching timing issue

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
CarlosA
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Head scratching timing issue

Post by CarlosA »

SkylinesSuck wrote:You think it's a stock cam on a stroker build? Who put this together?

It's not even a stroker build .. i`m just here because members on the usual Jeep forums would have me changing the oxygen sensors, TPS, etc without a clue. People here understand these engines very well so they have likely seen everything, especially something simple like a timing tooth off.

I did order a degree setting set since i`ve always wanted one, but like you said - the timing gear here likely isn`t adjustable and is likely off by a whole tooth. I`ll check it visually first then setup the wheel if everything looks perfect.

I`m still hoping someone will come along who says "yeah me and my buddy had that exact problem, it was retarded by 1 tooth".

I do have a stroker in my XJ so hopefully that doesn`t disqualify me being here, lol.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

CarlosA wrote:
SkylinesSuck wrote:I`m still hoping someone will come along who says "yeah me and my buddy had that exact problem, it was retarded by 1 tooth".
yeah me and my buddy had that exact problem, it was retarded by 1 tooth"
CarlosA
Noob
Noob

Post by CarlosA »

jsawduste wrote: yeah me and my buddy had that exact problem, it was retarded by 1 tooth
thanks
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Oh, not a stroker! Okay, disregard all my injector related talk :-) Let us know how the timing gear check turns out. And we are happy to have you here, stroker or not! Sounds like you have a lot to contribute.
CarlosA
Noob
Noob

Post by CarlosA »

SkylinesSuck wrote:Oh, not a stroker! Okay, disregard all my injector related talk :-) Let us know how the timing gear check turns out. And we are happy to have you here, stroker or not! Sounds like you have a lot to contribute.
Thank you .. will do - hopefully tomorrow I can start taking stuff off.
CarlosA
Noob
Noob

Post by CarlosA »

Alright so I finally got around to getting the timing cover off ... I didn`t do anything but align the mark on the harmonic balancer with the peg on the cover, this is what I found:
timing-marks.jpg

Next i`m going to pull the valve cover and look around make sure its on tdc and not 180 out or whatever .. but really no clue at this point. I did receive the cam degree setup from Jegs, and will go through those steps as a last resort. If it turns out to be a real problem then I can order a new timing set with multiple key selections.

Any other ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Stock cam you said, right? Low vacuum at idle but runs good on the throttle always sounds like vacuum leak to me. Just thinking out loud here really....

Vacuum check the things connected to the motor? Maybe like a huge internal leak in the maste brake booster for example?
CarlosA
Noob
Noob

Post by CarlosA »

Yep tried all the vacuum tricks including smoke test, etc. Runs rich at idle. I`ve had the intake out and checked it physically for cracks and issues. Also ran it will all vac ports (booster, etc) capped.

Stock cam as far as I know, but maybe the rebuilder used mix and match pieces from various years of Jeep 4.0s?
CarlosA
Noob
Noob

Post by CarlosA »

Once I pulled the valve cover and turned the engine over by hand, I was able to see that the compression stroke is when the cam is 180 degrees from where the marks line up. In other words, when the marks are lined up we are right at the end of the exhaust valve closing. No idea what that is all about, but I went ahead and redid the DIS timing with a .073" pin gage lining the pieces up, and stuck it back in .. it ended up being advanced by one tooth (on re-install, meaning it was previously retarded?). All of these are good signs, but i`ll have to wait til tomorrow to button it up and try starting it, then re-setting the timing with the DRB III.

If it still doesnt work i`ll drop it off at the shop that did the install. My reasons for investigating this rather than making them do it are too long for this thread ... :deadhorse:
darkcorp
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: GCh 4.0

Post by darkcorp »

CarlosA, did you solved your problem? I have the same issues with liw vacuum and negative fuel trims while idling. .