Opportunity to buy a stroker

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
sierradmax
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Opportunity to buy a stroker

Post by sierradmax »

My first post here so here goes....

Last year, I purchased a 2005 Rubicon that I've since tore down. Stock motor has 150k and although ran strong, had the typical oil leaks. My original intention was to tear down to just the block & head, re-gasket, paint, new water pump, plugs, freeze plugs and hopefully get another 100k out of it before a major overhaul.

Fast forward to today, a local CL ad showed a 0 mile, 4.7L stroker for sale for a decent deal. Even though this is out of my realm of knowledge, it's not my first engine transplant so I'm not afraid of a challenge. The ad shows the motor as originally a 98 4.0L, whether TJ or XJ, I don't know. In my conversation with the owner (who I believe is a member of JS.com), both of us have somewhat of an understanding that there are differences between the 98 & 05. After doing some homework (which this site is full of useful info), it seems as if in 2000, the 4.0L went through some changes.

I understand that the heads are completely different. While my oem motor uses coil packs, the previous owner stated that the 98 was set up for a distributor style ignition.

I assume all bellhousings bolt locations remained the same through the years of the 4.0? Meaning the bolt pattern on the blocks remained the same?

What I'm more confused about is the front of the block. The accessory bracketry.

I guess if one would be seriously interested in a project like this, what MAJOR differences are there between the two blocks and at what point is it more economical & easier, finding a newer 4.0L donor to build.