Oil pressure drops

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Knoxes
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: GC

Oil pressure drops

Post by Knoxes »

We have almost 50K miles on my mini-stroker build from 2013 as detailed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=3391

Over the past year we've had 3 incidents of a drop in oil pressure to 0. Every time, it's after it's been driven for more than an hour and has been idling for at least a few minutes. It goes from a very solid 45? psi to 0, and Lil K has learned to shut it off immediately when seeing the drop. On a restart after a few minutes, it acts like normal.

I'm not sure what could be happening other than a bad sender, which has been replaced either during the rebuild or after, I can't remember for sure. Any ideas?
2003 WJ 4.0L (stroker candidate)
2004 WJ 4.7L HO
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Oil pressure drops

Post by Cheromaniac »

It'll either be a failing gauge sending unit if the readings are false, or a failing oil pump (or clogged oil pump screen) if the readings are true.
Have you checked that the oil level is correct?
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Knoxes
Donator
Donator

Post by Knoxes »

The oil level is fine and it's pretty fresh. I've run 30 wt Rotella since the rebuild on the machine shop recommendation. I don't see how that could contribute, but I think I'm going to switch to 10-30. I'll try changing the sending unit. Always do the cheapest thing first, right?
2004 WJ 4.7L HO
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Knoxes wrote:The oil level is fine and it's pretty fresh. I've run 30 wt Rotella since the rebuild on the machine shop recommendation. I don't see how that could contribute, but I think I'm going to switch to 10-30. I'll try changing the sending unit. Always do the cheapest thing first, right?
This is one of those times whenever possible to use a factory jeep part.
A OEM Jeep sending unit may cost you a few extra bucks, but it will be worth it. Checking it against a mechanical gauge wouldn't hurt either.
Knoxes
Donator
Donator

Post by Knoxes »

Interestingly enough, the OEM part doesn't seem to be available anymore. My local dealer couldn't find one within a couple of hundred miles. And the online Mopar sites that I used during the stroker build don't have it either. I had to go aftermarket unfortunately.
2004 WJ 4.7L HO
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Have you backed up or verified your readings with a mechanical gauge yet?
Knoxes
Donator
Donator

Post by Knoxes »

I haven't and don't really have a way to do that either. Also, it's very intermittent. He's had months go between episodes, so it's totally unpredictable.

I put the Duralast product in and found the engine side electrical connector was oily on the inside. There's an oil leak back there somewhere, so it's possible that the switch wasn't getting a good reading. Regardless, I sprayed some carb cleaner in there and tried to blow it out with some canned air. We'll see how it goes. No issues so far.
2004 WJ 4.7L HO