MY built stroker low on power

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
SnohomishTJ
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

MY built stroker low on power

Post by SnohomishTJ »

Hello im new to forums so hope im not in the wrong area or doing anything wrong. I have been reading on my issue for 2 months with no success. I have a 4.6 stroker built by a company with a reputation for building good 4.6 stroker engines. I have no wideband yet just need some advice on what one to buy. My issue is im very low on power and it seems to use a lot of fuel. I was meticulas on install and break-in. In the beginning I had issues with indexing the distributer because the builder says it should line up correctly without the ears cut. I kept getting 1391 code and misfire so I followed angelfire website and indexed the distributer. I had to cut a ear off the distributer but im no longer throwing codes. My parts are 24lb injectors, banks cold air intake, revolver header and monster exhaust, magna flow cat, bbk 62mm TB, all mopar sensors, performance distributers dui kit screamin demon coil, livewires cap and rotor, champion RC9YC4 plugs tapped at .35 but had them at .55 before. all parts are new with stroker install. I now get no codes even though when I test drive and come to a stop in neutral my rpms will drop down and bounce for a minute between 750 and 500rpm and I rarely get a small backfire. I have 49lb fuel pressure, 20in vacuum, 190-200psi per cylinder and at 600 miles on the engine. I tested my current to my tps and its good. What I'm stumped on is horrible lack of power. Builder says i dont need a tune but he also said I wouldn't have to cut ears on my distributer and it would fall right in like factory. I have no specifics on my cam build sheet just says comp cams hydrolic tappet cam. I upgraded my gounds a from engine to firewall with thick battery cable sized wire. I swapped in my old injectors this made my exhaust sound quieter and is where I got that tiny backfire. Im stumped and burnt out. 2 months of tbis troubleshooting and emails to builder. Every night trying something different with zero change in power. I clear memory every time I change a part and take a 5 mile test drive. I have a line on a pcm out of same year tj with manual trans but i have burnt so much money on guesses its got to stop. I apologize for any confusing info or how its put out there. Im typing this on my phone at work because im so frustrated. I have tried not to turn to forums for help because i dont want to shine a bad light on tbe builder as its most likely not his fault but im out of options. Any help woukd be greatly appreciated. Also a recommendation on a wideband. I know nothing about these.
SnohomishTJ
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: MY built stroker low on power

Post by SnohomishTJ »

Also wondering if I can turn the bottom of the distributer only, with the pulse ring not locked with the bottom. I believe I read about that also to retard fuel injector timing? I was told not to do that by the builder but he also said the distributer woukd drop right in no adjustment. Just holding on for an easy fix. If i need a tune after all im screwed. I know nothing about tuning i dont even know if i need a particular wideband gauge.
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L Super
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: American
Vehicle Model: Eagle

Re: MY built stroker low on power

Post by DaemonForce »

SnohomishTJ wrote:Also wondering if I can turn the bottom of the distributer only, with the pulse ring not locked with the bottom. I believe I read about that also to retard fuel injector timing? I was told not to do that by the builder but he also said the distributer woukd drop right in no adjustment. Just holding on for an easy fix. If i need a tune after all im screwed. I know nothing about tuning i dont even know if i need a particular wideband gauge.
You can but I don't reccommend it. I actually did this at first to figure out why in the hell I couldn't get this engine to stay alive. WAAAAAAAAY too much advance and it would start up lean for a few seconds and chuff to a stop. You only need to tune this engine with injectors and o2 sensors. Actual programming isn't possible without some rare individuals on this forum. I don't remember their names. A healthy 4.7L shouldn't be low on power. It may have something to do with the cam and time adjustment. I used a Crower 44243 cam in my build then clocked it -2º. You may actually need confirmation on your cam installation and the cam timing if you're still encountering serious power issues. You'll recognize the distributor timing issue easily if you compare with mine.
Improperly clocked distributor:

Properly timed:

Hopefully this is your only problem.
   ,__,_____,__,       ~A-M-C YA!
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
,l_/¯\_l__ll__l__/¯\(¤≡¤)
   (o))o))        (o))o))