Low budget stroker with NSG370?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
DeepSouthTJ
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Low budget stroker with NSG370?

Post by DeepSouthTJ »

I'm considering building a mild stroker, but I've got a few limitations. First is the NSG370 trans, which is only rated for 272 lb-ft. Second is my budget, as I'm hoping to only spend $500-1200 on the project. However I can do all the work myself.

So with my power and budget restrictions, I was thinking a 4.2L or 4.5L would be a good fit for me. Also, because of how mild my build would be how hard would it be to get it to run on 87 octane?

Edit: A little extra info, my Jeep is a 2006, I'm at sea level, and the cam needs to be replaced (OPDA issues) so I could run an aftermarket unit if needed.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998

Re: Low budget stroker with NSG370?

Post by SkylinesSuck »

I think you need more budget. By all the work yourself, I assume you mean remove and install, not machine work?
DeepSouthTJ
Vehicle Year: 2006

Post by DeepSouthTJ »

How much more would you estimate? I might be willing to stretch my budget a little. I've heard of guys doing it for at or under $1000 but if I'm going to do it I'd rather do it right.

And yes, I meant removal/installation, not machine work. Other than boring out the block/honing the cyl walls what kind of machine work does a stroker require?
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Off the top of my head, gaskets will probably be $150, cam +lifters $200, timing set $100, used injectors for $150, lets say you can find a 258 bottom end locally on Craigslist for $200 (good luck), and bearings for maybe $100. You are already up to $900 in parts and I think that's low balling it. Then you need pistons which would probably cost you $350+, and then there are the random things you don't think of like break in oil, oil, rtv, plugs, new head bolts, water pump, thermostat, etc. Pencil in $100 for those. Then you've got to pay for machine work. I would plan on spending $1500-$2000 with you doing the motor R&R. It can be cheaper for sure if you have parts sitting around, but starting from scratch is a bit more for sure.
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L Super
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: American
Vehicle Model: Eagle

Post by DaemonForce »

DeepSouthTJ wrote:I'm considering building a mild stroker, but I've got a few limitations. First is the NSG370 trans, which is only rated for 272 lb-ft.
No.
DeepSouthTJ wrote:Second is my budget, as I'm hoping to only spend $500-1200 on the project.
No.
SkylinesSuck wrote:I think you need more budget.
DeepSouthTJ wrote:How much more would you estimate?
$2200-2600 minimum if doing everything piecemeal like I did. Since you're reusing parts from what is primarily the 4.0L, you might be able to squeak by on your estimate but it's high risk. You need to find a yard 232 or 258 to cannibalize. Pull the crank and get it turned for your engine. Give it some new connecting rods(or pull the ones mated to the pistons from the donor) and refresh all the bearings, gaskets and rings. Get the new piston assemblies balanced too. Add a more aggressive 210-225 duration range cam, new lifters, maybe roller rockers, new pushrods and replace that slacking timing set with a double roller.
SkylinesSuck wrote:I would plan on spending $1500-$2000 with you doing the motor R&R. It can be cheaper for sure if you have parts sitting around, but starting from scratch is a bit more for sure.
Pretty much this. It's all nickle and dime stuff once you're halfway through it. I started on mine from a non-standard profile of jumping from a factory 258 straight over to the stroker with a 4.0L donor block, deep ridges, bad piston rings and the worst damn head I've seen since my 258 head cast with those siamesed exhaust ports for #3 and #4. I still haven't gotten around to running break-in oil and I should do that soon. The only real issue here as stated is the transmission. After junking a 3spd crapflite for a preliminary 5spd NWC T-5 rated for just under 300lb-ft, the realization has me a bit on edge now not because I'm such an aggressive driver behind the wheel of a junk ass Ford FE for the longest time, but because I'm a lighthearted driver behind the wheel of an extremely aggressive AMC L6. Their power outputs are an even comparison and my insane gearing is taller than anyone else on this forum. It may be time for an AX-15 or a TKO.
   ,__,_____,__,       ~A-M-C YA!
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
,l_/¯\_l__ll__l__/¯\(¤≡¤)
   (o))o))        (o))o))
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by BcurpKodiak »

I had a 2013 4 door JK. 3.6L with a magnuson supercharger. Custom pulley smaller than what you can get from Magnuson making 9 psi (I even had to ground down the blower snout haha). Good intake and exhaust, water/meth injection. Made 350 RWHP which equates to about 430 at the engine. TQ was 342 or there abouts at the wheels! Tranny was seeing over 400 lb ft.

I had the NSG370 6 speed and am a fan. I dumped the clutch, wheeled in the rocks with 35's. I was not nice to it. ZERO issues with the 6 speed. I was worried it would be an issue and anticipated blowing it up with that much power and a heavy Jeep. But I never did. Put about 30,000 miles on it in that configuration.