What went wrong

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Jarrods2000tj
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep

What went wrong

Post by Jarrods2000tj »

Broke my 4.7 in about two weeks ago using the break in procedure comp suggested used their oil new parts in the whole engine, checked clearances balanced rotating assembly... thought I did everything right but as my luck would have it after the break in process I found metal in the oil. Am I overthinking the metal thing or should I be worried? The oil looks like metallic paint, and has small scraps of brass colored material. Is this just normal new parts meeting eatchother and breaking in? Or is it worse?
It seems to run fine but I cant get over this metal thing, I changed the oil after initial breakin and used another batch of comp break in oil drove on that for 20 miles and seemed the same when drained as the first run of oil. I now have regular oil in it but am to worried to drive it to see if the metal keeps up. I don’t want to damage any parts that might be worth money if I have to get out of this thing. So comes the question is the metal normal and a brand new engine or should I be worried?
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: What went wrong

Post by SkylinesSuck »

When I did my cam swap (after eating a lobe/lifter on the previous cam) I had a substantial amount of metallic stuff in the oil for the initial break in oil and two oil changes after that. The third one looked okay, but I'm a still watching closely and don't really consider myself out of the woods until the next oil change comes up clean. Time will tell.

I would say change your oil again and see what it looks like. I also run a magnetic drain plug and watch it closely whenever I change the oil.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

It might take 100 miles or more to see any reduction in the amount of metal particles in the oil so as long as the engine sounds normal, I wouldn't panic. I'd continue using break in oil for the next 600 miles (1000km) and add a magnetic drain plug to the oil pan to catch ferrous particles.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

No amount of visible metallics is acceptable.

if the block and internals were cleaned properly there should not be any particles to the naked eye.

Something is very wrong and its not going to get better by itself.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by Russ Pottenger »

jsawduste wrote:No amount of visible metallics is acceptable.

if the block and internals were cleaned properly there should not be any particles to the naked eye.

Something is very wrong and its not going to get better by itself.
X2,

The oil might have a slight gray color because of the Molly on the cam, and a combination of honing oil impregnation, rings and such during breaking in.
If it's anything more than that you have some problems.

In Chris's case it was debris from the previous cam failure.

If there's ever a concern I recommend cutting the oil filter open and looking at the pleets in the filter.
If anything is bad happening in the engine the oil filter will show signs immediately.

Wish you luck
Jarrods2000tj
Noob
Noob

Post by Jarrods2000tj »

When I cut the filter open there wasn’t metal debris stuck to the pleats of the filter but has metal dust/small chunks where I had the magnet on the filter, also metal dust on the magnetic drain plug, also the small chunks of brass colored material in the bottom of the drain pan are odd.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Jarrods2000tj wrote:When I cut the filter open there wasn’t metal debris stuck to the pleats of the filter but has metal dust/small chunks where I had the magnet on the filter, also metal dust on the magnetic drain plug, also the small chunks of brass colored material in the bottom of the drain pan are odd.
A light trace of fine metal dust is normal but chunks of metal definitely aren't, and what you're describing sounds like bearing material. This is more worrying. How's the oil pressure?
Two potential scenarios are either cam walk causing accelerated cam bearing wear, or an improperly seated torque converter (if automatic) causing accelerated thrust bearing wear. In both cases the oil pressure could remain normal, and you may not hear any unusual noises, until the degree of wear is well advanced.
Jarrods2000tj
Noob
Noob

Post by Jarrods2000tj »

It is an automatic, but when I tightened the torque converter bolts they had to pull the torque converter up to the flex plate. The cam has a spring loaded pin in the bolt to keep it from walking up against the timing cover