Gutless 4.7 stroker

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
YJCorbyn
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Gutless 4.7 stroker

Post by YJCorbyn »

Ok well I checked where the cam is and it is to far advanced I think. My dial indicator (on the lifter) reads .074 when the instructions say it should be between .048 and .058. That’s why I think the cam is to far advanced. I then realized my timing set isn’t adjustable.... so I will be ordering an adjustable one in the morning. Any suggestions on timing sets?
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Buy the one Russ sells. It is a very nice piece. Rollmaster I believe. It was better than the Cloyes double roller I replaced mine with.

That is odd about the timing. You aren't off a tooth on the timing set, are you? I always take a pic of the dots lined up before I put the cover on for my peace of mind.
YJCorbyn
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by YJCorbyn »

SkylinesSuck wrote:Buy the one Russ sells. It is a very nice piece. Rollmaster I believe. It was better than the Cloyes double roller I replaced mine with.

That is odd about the timing. You aren't off a tooth on the timing set, are you? I always take a pic of the dots lined up before I put the cover on for my peace of mind.
The timing set is lined up to dot

How do I get ahold of Russ? Does he have a website that I can order it off of?
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L Super
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: American
Vehicle Model: Eagle

Post by DaemonForce »

Cheromaniac wrote:Did you check if the distributor is indexed correctly?
SkylinesSuck wrote:Clocking the dizzy won't effect timing. It only effects injector timing. Get it on the right tooth though. That will change the timing!
Clocking the distributor is next to impossible if you're using an aftermarket Autozone rebuilt distributor(which I DON'T recommend). It is also the source of some serious problems with clocking the distributor in the 11 o'clock position since that's what I went with at first instead of looking at the damn distributor cap. Here's how you do it:
Look at your distributor and look at the #1 spark tower and mark that position at the base of your distributor. Uncap the distributor, align your engine to TDC and note the position of the rotor. It should be after the mark for #1 but not exactly there. If it's positioned ON it or before the mark, reclock your distributor until it is in the appropriate position. It took me on and off a year of fiddling with this to realize I had too much timing. This is how an engine starts when it has too much timing:

If you need further confirmation, when you attempt to blip the throttle, it just stumbles as timing is maxed out too quickly and it breathes fire and chuffs(backfires) as the RPMs drop off. If you have this behavior, fix it immediately. Avoid this behavior at all costs.
   ,__,_____,__,       ~A-M-C YA!
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
,l_/¯\_l__ll__l__/¯\(¤≡¤)
   (o))o))        (o))o))
YJCorbyn
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by YJCorbyn »

DaemonForce wrote:
Cheromaniac wrote:Did you check if the distributor is indexed correctly?
SkylinesSuck wrote:Clocking the dizzy won't effect timing. It only effects injector timing. Get it on the right tooth though. That will change the timing!
Clocking the distributor is next to impossible if you're using an aftermarket Autozone rebuilt distributor(which I DON'T recommend). It is also the source of some serious problems with clocking the distributor in the 11 o'clock position since that's what I went with at first instead of looking at the damn distributor cap. Here's how you do it:
Look at your distributor and look at the #1 spark tower and mark that position at the base of your distributor. Uncap the distributor, align your engine to TDC and note the position of the rotor. It should be after the mark for #1 but not exactly there. If it's positioned ON it or before the mark, reclock your distributor until it is in the appropriate position. It took me on and off a year of fiddling with this to realize I had too much timing. This is how an engine starts when it has too much timing:

If you need further confirmation, when you attempt to blip the throttle, it just stumbles as timing is maxed out too quickly and it breathes fire and chuffs(backfires) as the RPMs drop off. If you have this behavior, fix it immediately. Avoid this behavior at all costs.

What makes the aftermarket distributors so bad? That’s what I’m using. I think you tried to post a video... if so I couldn’t see it
YJCorbyn
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by YJCorbyn »

I talked to Russ and got my timing set ordered he said it should ship today or tomorrow so hopefully I have it by Monday.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Hopefully that fixes it for ya. It really sounds like a timing issue to me.
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by DaemonForce »

YJCorbyn wrote:What makes the aftermarket distributors so bad? That’s what I’m using. I think you tried to post a video... if so I couldn’t see it
First off, two things: The distributors that are being sold are of some strange aluminum casting that locks into place with a toe to center around the bolt for the distributor locking bracket. It makes it extremely difficult to adjust timing but when I discovered that timing was my issue and I did adjustments, I reworked the distributor that doesn't center the toe on the bolt. Thus, I was able to reclock the distributor and adjust timing. The other thing, the quality of the aluminum casting for those distributors is so poor that when I attempted to lock down the first one, the toe snapped off of the distributor housing. JUNK! Video of my overtimed stroker starting up can be found here.
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
   (o))o))        (o))o))
YJCorbyn
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by YJCorbyn »

SkylinesSuck wrote:Hopefully that fixes it for ya. It really sounds like a timing issue to me.
I agree.. I was kind of thinking it was that from the beginning but wanted other opinions before I tore it apart. Hopefully I will have it up and running soon so I can test fit some prototype parts and get the 1 ton swap started.
YJCorbyn
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by YJCorbyn »

DaemonForce wrote:
YJCorbyn wrote:What makes the aftermarket distributors so bad? That’s what I’m using. I think you tried to post a video... if so I couldn’t see it
First off, two things: The distributors that are being sold are of some strange aluminum casting that locks into place with a toe to center around the bolt for the distributor locking bracket. It makes it extremely difficult to adjust timing but when I discovered that timing was my issue and I did adjustments, I reworked the distributor that doesn't center the toe on the bolt. Thus, I was able to reclock the distributor and adjust timing. The other thing, the quality of the aluminum casting for those distributors is so poor that when I attempted to lock down the first one, the toe snapped off of the distributor housing. JUNK! Video of my overtimed stroker starting up can be found here.
So it’s the poor quality of the cast? And the ears to hold it down? I’m not sure what you mean by “center the toe on the bolt.”
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by DaemonForce »

YJCorbyn wrote:So it’s the poor quality of the cast? And the ears to hold it down? I’m not sure what you mean by “center the toe on the bolt.”
I'm not sure if it's the casting or the clamp to hold down the distributor or the simple fact that I was piecemealing parts between the 258 and 4.0L to make this build a success. If you don't know about the toe on these things you do now. Ugly and scary go together here:

When I had the previous Renix distributor, everything lined up right and bolted in without trouble. Then I went to a later aftermarket distributor and snapped the toe off of it on the first turn. This is my 3rd aftermarket one:
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
   (o))o))        (o))o))