When to Use Synthetic Oil

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Jrama403
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

When to Use Synthetic Oil

Post by Jrama403 »

I have about 5K kms or 3100 miles on the motor. I have finished with break in oil and decided to throw in some Rotella 15W40 as was recommended.

Well my engine absolutely hates this oil....I accidentally over filled the motor by 1 litre (long story using a measuring container that was british quarts) And about half a day later I noticed it was pushing oil past the rear main, front and out around the filter. Not only that but cold start ups are atrocious! Clak clak clak.

Needles to say its hard to find a conventional with the zddp required, is it too early to switch to semi synthetic? Given availability I have decided on Quaker State High Mileage Defy.

From what I have read its only the initial break in that you shouldn't put it in.
Jrama403
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: When to Use Synthetic Oil

Post by Jrama403 »

Well I decided to pull the trigger and WOW the engine smoothed out and settled down with the Quaker State Defy, Night and Day to the overly thick and S**** Rotella. Noticeably better than the 10W30 comp cams break in oil I used which had much higher zinc levels.

Did some reading and Rotella definitely does not get the best protection or shear (psi) numbers out there which is why I did not go with a thinner weight Rotella and went with the defy oil. Its 90,000+ Psi rated and has more zinc than Rotella (and was locally available...)

The comp cams oil I used for break in scored very low in the report linked below, but I guess the engine must have worn in well using it..it has plenty of zinc so woo!

I read this blog (linked below)...and while it seemed great I did not totally believe it ... which is why I chose the safe road and went with Defy Oil. Good reviews in this linked report and High ZDDP levels (plus I could buy it at Walmart)

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Not cheap here but after toasting my 4.0...and building a stroker in Canada seems pretty cheap!
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

That report was biased and misleading when it came out.

Its not worth the paper its written on. If you cutaway the BS its just another advertising gimmick.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

jsawduste wrote:That report was biased and misleading when it came out.

Its not worth the paper its written on. If you cutaway the BS its just another advertising gimmick.
True, and unscientific at that.