To build or not to build? That is the question.

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
WJrazz
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: WJ limited

To build or not to build? That is the question.

Post by WJrazz »

Hanging here with you guys is giving me the bug. So here is the situation.
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadradrive 4.0L in good general mechanical condition with 250k+ miles on original engine.
Engine is still oil tight with good pressure, uses about a quart every 1200-1500 miles.
It is making worn cam/lifter noises, so not a lot of miles left on it as is.
It has been overheated a couple of times when I had some radiator issues, but it hasn't been driven that way longer than needed to pull over and let it cool down before adding water to it. No obvious issues resulted from those incidents, It has about 20-25k miles on it since the cooling system rebuild and is still running strong and smooth even with the valve train noise. Lot of highway miles.
For now I'm shopping the local parts yards for a used engine to swap in.
What to do with the old one?
I'm thinking mild stroker for general daily all roads/all weather use with a good fat torque curve for towing. Nothing too radical. Smooth idle, good mileage. Rarely see the high side of 4000rpm.
My off roading consists mainly of camping trips into the regional national forests over well maintained logging roads that don't challenge the stock ground clearance. I tow a boat that weighs in around 3500lbs.
Would prefer to have it built by a reputable engine builder. There is one that I know of here in South Carolina that mostly builds NASCAR and street rod engines, haven't talked to them yet about Jeep sixes.
Should I build on what seems to be a pretty solid core?
What about the head? I know these have some reputation for cracking, but this one has never had a problem, even after some severe heat stress. Rebuild or replace with a new casting?
Open to suggestions for crank, cam, pistons, rods, lifters, etc.
Open to suggestions for engine builders. I've been drooling over Golen's 4.6 strokers. Something similar to their basic model would be ideal. Do they and similar shops rebuild owner's cores?
This is my fourth stock Jeep over the last 20 years or so, usually I just trade up a few years. But I really like this one enough to build it into a custom ride. I've learned a bit just being a fly on the wall here for a few weeks. Enough to know there is a lot I don't know.
Thanks in advance for any contributions to the conversation. I'm all ears.

Razz
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: To build or not to build? That is the question.

Post by Cheromaniac »

Go for a decent, used '02-'04 WJ 4.0 or an '02-'06 TJ 4.0 as the basis for a stroker build. Russ Pottenger can fix you up with most of the parts.
Once the stroker engine is up and running reliably, you can sell your old engine to another Jeeper who needs a core for a stroker build.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
WJrazz

Post by WJrazz »

Thanks for the input Cheromaniac.
Any particular reason the 02-04's are a better option? Beyond "Another year younger and deeper in debt"

Found a good used engine for my 01 clanker yesterday. Probably swap that out within the next month.
May tackle that myself with the help of my next door neighbor if he is willing, for pay of course. He has the shop for it. Does custom chassis and body builds on old cars, then sells them off in the rough for people to finish as they choose. Low riders and hot rods.
His current project car is a 1980 Camaro mid-engine funny car conversion using a front wheel drive Buick V8 drive train assembly.
I haven't done any builds since tricking out a 1968 Karmann Ghia with bolt on Porsche 356 parts in the early 70's.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

WJrazz wrote:Any particular reason the 02-04's are a better option? Beyond "Another year younger and deeper in debt"
They have the TUPY 0331 heads which don't crack like the '00-'01 heads.
WJrazz

Post by WJrazz »

They have the TUPY 0331 heads which don't crack like the '00-'01 heads.
Good to know. Thanks.

I'm on the fence about spending a lot of bucks my '01 for other reasons. Mainly some annoying intermittent electrical issues with the wiring harness that are hard to cure without replacing it.
I may just swap in the used engine for now and sell it later in favor of a newer model.