compression ratio discussion

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: compression ratio discussion

Post by Flash »

tigerShark wrote:i could add a cams row on the top half of the stroker calc to output to a row for DCR on the bottom half but im not sure if my linux version of excel is backwards compatible to ms excel. i can read and edit excel files but im not sure i can save in excel format to share.

did i miss how to get the IVC value from advertised cam specs?
If so I miss it two
flask you really need to get excel or another spreadsheet program if only for the stroker calc alone. very useful tool. luckily for me, most of the software for linux is free and is pretty well made. i havent used windows at home in over 2 years and i have never looked back.
Here is the problem with IVC spec figured.... @ .050".

lets say we have two cam's that have the exact same IVC spec ( @.050) but one, is designed let the valve down softly on to it seat, and the other one slam it on the seat, as fast as it can.
Seat to Seat of these two cams, could be 10 maybe even 20* different ...........so you see, it is a Guesstament at best what the seat spec is with a "@ .050 spec.
For the average cam it's probably close,......but it could be way off depending on what lobe ramp was designed into the cam.

Flash
Last edited by Flash on February 28th, 2008, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Flash

Post by Flash »

brewmenn wrote:
Flash wrote:
Thanks but i don't have ms excel, so i can't read it...........
I use this... http://www.openoffice.org/ to read it.
I'm really not to bright when i comes to computers.............but i actually do have open office on my computer here at home.
will have to give it a try :)

Flash

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

not to completely go off topic here, but should we have a calc thats integrated into the board?
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

I vote yes it's just the type of thing that a site like this should have. Will generate lots of traffic especially if it doesn't break like Andreas Calc does (it goes wonky sometimes after you play with it a while).
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
Flash

Post by Flash »

X2.....I like the idea!!

Flash

brewmenn
Noob
Noob

Post by brewmenn »

I have it all in a spreadsheet but I have no way to share it.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by seanyb505 »

What all do you have on the spreadsheet? I have the stroker calc but I would like something I i can play around with more variables (cam esp.)
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
brewmenn
Noob
Noob

Post by brewmenn »

seanyb505 wrote:What all do you have on the spreadsheet? I have the stroker calc but I would like something I i can play around with more variables (cam esp.)
everything I could think of. I took a stab at getting DRC based on IVC but can't guarantee I got it right. It involved lots of trigonometry and high school was a long time ago.

I could e-mail it to you if you want.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I have no clue how to build a calc for DCR,SCR,Quench,........and then get way tricky and throw in a Altitude compensation Calc to it.......................We we would draw a lot of people just by mentioning the calc. on other jeep sight, When this type of descustion was mentioned.
Since we are here, to discuss how to make a 4.0L run at it's best, and wild-es State of tune!!!!!!!!!! :o :lol: :cheers:

Maybe something like the KB sight. only with more input options

I might just be talking out my Butt thow :oops: :huh:

By the way, there is a calc. out there that builds DCR and then modifies it to according to Altitude!!!!!!

I will see if i can't find that one to night!

Flash.

Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

Yeah if you guys can attach a calc that should be used here, then im sure i can figure out how to make it work within the board.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Flash

Post by Flash »

Here is the DCR calc. that i down loaded of the Internet and is the one i have been using to figure DCR here.
Go here

http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html
And then scroll to the bottom of the page and look for this.

DCR Calculator with VB6 Runtime files 1.55 MB

DCR Calculator without VB6 Runtime files 423 KB

For those that under stand the math involve .........its exlplained about half way down!!!!!!!
I down loaded the 423 KB one, because i have no idea if i have VB6 or not :oops:
This program works grate, have had it on my computer for over a year now......No complaints

The 2nt one i found is the one i was taking about that you can figure Altitude ......and boost figures for those that end up using a turbo.
This one you don't down load, You just us on there sight!!!

I know, this is not how we build our own........ But for those of you that understand the math mostly........This might help.

Haven't found a calc. that figures" DCR @ .050" Besides KB.

Ours wouldn't have to be that colorful ............
Still haven't tried out the spread sheet one yet........But i will this weekend!

Flash

Woop forgot the link!!! :smack:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php

1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

I called for just something like this in my post challenging people to step up and contribute. I think Chris needs something in php or java or other scripting language to make it integrated. I think it would be slick to have a full featured stroker calc here.

Unfortunately VB (visual basic) probably doesn't have the security required to have integrated into a website... Of course we could just host various calculators (Andreas calc is just a spreadsheet) and put a link to them in basics...

I'm still hoping we can get someone eventually whos experienced with scripting who can code something nice and fully featured specifically for the forums. Like a phpbb plug in mod
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

Muad'Dib wrote:not to completely go off topic here, but should we have a calc thats integrated into the board?
you could start a files page for now and post the calc spreadsheet file there. that would be a temporary solution. someone would have to remake the andreas calc because it would be plagiarism to use it here.
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
Flash

Post by Flash »

Here is a couple more that i have found

This first one would be way cool if i could get it to work................Try it...............Maybe I'm missing something it needs :huh:
At the end of you calculations it give you an octane that you can us..........
But it didn't work for me.........it don't require IVC spec but intake center line and duration to figure it out.
http://www.bid2race.com/DynamicCompress ... ulator.php

This 2nt on i didn't even try to use..........But decided i would link it any ways
http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/compressi ... sion.shtml

Personally, i like the first two i mention previously.

Flash

Flash

Post by Flash »

I would just like to invite every on over the the "Forum Discussion" to check out our, first compression calc.!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Flash