NooB Questions

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Themsah
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

NooB Questions

Post by Themsah »

I am certain there is a thread on here where I can find some of these answers. I have searched the FAQ section and not found a lot of stuff. It seems I may have much more basic questions than the technical stuff on the FAQ threads. My apologies in advance if you guys have answered these like a million times before.

I have a 1989 Yj with a 4.2 currently with a Weber 38 Synchro. The engine is pretty worn and burns oil, still runs like a top. I know I will need to freshen it up soon. I considered doing a V8 swap but I think for the sake of not having to modify like everything in the rig, I might be better off building a stroker. I have done some research and have a ton of questions. I hope you guys can help. So here goes:

- I read somewhere that strokers are prone to wear, and usually don't last more than about 20k miles. Is this true?
- What parts, if any, from my 4.2 might I need to keep for that stroker build? I am guessing I might only keep the crank? if that?
- I assume I can still run a carb setup on the stroker but I am guessing that weber might not cut it?
- I see a ton of places on the web offering "Stroker kits" I don't know if this forum allows me to name names, but one of them claims to make ridiculous power with their kits. are any of these kits worth it?

Maybe its better if I ask his way. I have a 1989 YJ with a worn out 4.2. It currently has 40's and 4.88's. I drive it on the street to the beach sometimes and sometimes it goes off road. I have never (even with the tired engine in there now) really needed any more power than what it has now. I am trying to build a motor that has a killer bottom end torque and will be durable, not necessarily make 300HP. I prefer not to V-8 swap just to keep things simple. I do not mind spending decent money on quality parts if that's what it takes. Is this doable with a stroker?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: NooB Questions

Post by Cheromaniac »

1. The only part worth rescuing from your 4.2 to build a stroker is the crank. You could sell the rods & pistons in ebay.
2. The Weber carb set-up isn't going to cut the mustard. I suggest you go EFI.
3. Buy a '91-'06 Wrangler with a manual tranny that's either been written off in an accident or scrapped due to extensive rust and use it as a parts donor.
4. Hire our resident stroker guru Russ Pottenger to transform the donor 4.0L engine into a kickass stroker.
5. Built properly, a stroker will run reliably for 100+k miles. Mine was still going like a raped ape when I sold the Jeep.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Heck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Re: NooB Questions

Post by Heck »

My stroker has 70,000 miles and is my daily driver. I think the problem with strokers is the people who build them. They want more power and they want to use it. all the time. race motors don't last. Drive it like a normal engine and it will last just as long as a normal motor.
The stroker kits I've seen are 4.2 cranks, kb or other brand stroker pistons, sometimes rods, plus instructions. you have to provide the 4.0 anyway, so save your money. find a 4.0 somewhere (they practically give them away on craiglist and facebook) and the stroker won't cost any more than a regular rebuild. You have all the instructions you need here.
You can make due with that carb, but there are way better options.
I NEED MORE TORQUE!

'03 Rubicon w/4.6: kb944 pistons, late 70's 4 weight crank, Mopar P4529228ab cam, 240 dur./.430 lift, barely polished head. First fire 11/14/08, no mechanical issues so far.