How long can it sit?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
MunkMaster
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

How long can it sit?

Post by MunkMaster »

I am about send my block off to the machine shop and working on the Cherokee again. The truck itself has sat for 2 years so it needs some work before it is ready to roll. My question is if I build the engine first, how long can the block sit being fully built before there are issues. From what it looks like it would only sit maybe 2 months. Should I wait to build the block until the Cherokee is ready for its heart or can I just put it together and let it sit?
jasonb
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Make: Jeep

Re: How long can it sit?

Post by jasonb »

Ha! I sure hope so. Mine's been waiting on a stand for like 6 months. Seriously though, assembly oil is very sticky like way oil so it will stay on the surfaces a long time. Just don't leave it sitting with the rockers installed and all that pressure wearing out half your springs. And don't leave it in a cold environment for long as the condensation will accumulate inside.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

You'll be OK!, when I worked at the machine shop we had a customer that had some engines that had sat rebuilt and unused for about 15+ years, they were locked up solid!?, we found that it was the "Lubriplate" grease they had been lubed with on assembly, a clean up and new gaskets and they were good to go.
We had engines that had sat in the showroom for a couple of years and had no issues.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
MunkMaster
Donator
Donator

Post by MunkMaster »

sweet thanks guys! I am using bg assembly lube I had picked up when I worked for the dealerships. I am not putting the head on until the block is in the truck. Just a little easier for me so there wont be any stress on the parts.