Fixin to get serious about a stroker...

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Bowtiejack
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Fixin to get serious about a stroker...

Post by Bowtiejack »

Alrighty y'all, with a working knowledge of engine function/design and understanding the general guiding principles involved in power production, I have reached a conundrum of sorts. Cam selection and intake design.

So the general jist is to build a larger displacement (duh) motor in preparation of retiring/rebuilding my 4.0L. It's my DD and I don't drive like Mario Andretti. That said not looking for outrageous high RPM numbers. With extensive experience in the Harley motor world I understand all too well the low RPM ramifications of too much intake runner volume/too large of a throttle body. Which leads me to the real questions.

Given a fairly generic 4.6,
4.0L block
4.2 crank
4.0 rods
forged -24cc dished +.060" pistons
9.7:1 compression

Looking into intake systems coupled with cam selection to produce decent low-mid range torque 1200-3000-ish I almost never exceed 3k. Understanding bigger diameter diameter throttle bodies and ported/enlarged/recontoured intakes do more for top end and can kill low end grunt, what would be a good starting point for intake system sizes/sources.

As for the "brains of the operation," trying to find a cam that's aggressive enough to allow good flow in the lower half of the spectrum with out being too aggressive and thus starting to shift the torque curve higher in the RPM range and making more top end power than low-mid range torque. I've been looking at some of the "towing/4x4" type cams from crane, comp cams, and Crower. The exact grind numbers as of this moment, have a ton of stuff rolling around from all the other recent stroker refresher reading I've been doing.

Doing a 4.6 type build has been on the radar for a while and am finally about ready to start actually making it happen....as long as I can find an acceptable solution to the low end flop of a lot of stroker applications.

Any advice to point me in the right direction and get this figured out would be greatly appreciated.