A changed stroker

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
lazyxj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

A changed stroker

Post by lazyxj »

First posting here, although I have been lurking for a couple years and have been a member of NAXJA for 14 years.
Up until three weeks ago this engine was out in the garage.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/244 ... 342067420/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/alb ... 3342067420
It's a Russ Pottenger 4.6 with an Edlebrook head, with the full Russ P&P treatment and a M62 supercharger.
The engine was originally built for my friend's 1997 XJ and was supposed to be installed a year and a half ago but a week before the install, my friend suddenly died. After over a year of dealing with a prolonged probate, I acquired both the engine and the 97 XJ.
The 1997 XJ is going to remain as it is, it already has a healthy engine and is now my DD. The new stroker, after serious changes, will go into the 2001 built XJ. The 2001 XJ is heavy and needs the extra power.

Having no desire to run a supercharger, I contacted Russ and arranged to swap out the Edlebrook head for one of his 0630 heads, along with a set of higher compression pistons. I'm looking for low end torque and reliability, rather than high performance.

The supercharger kit is from Rick Rimmer and is designed to fit under the hood without cutting. It uses a 99+ manifold that has been cut and had a CNC billet aluminum plenum welded to it. An adaptor plate matches it to the M62 supercharger.
The M62, when received, was in poor shape and not usable. After an unsuccessful fight with Rick, the M62 was sent to Stiegemeier Porting Services, which specializes in supercharger rebuilding. The M62 was fully rebuilt, including recoating the rotors.
The SC manifold's welds, between the 99+ manifold and the plenum, were not the neatest so Russ worked it over, smoothing them and matching the ports.
While waiting for the engine to be built, in the 97 XJ, I installed a Split Second FTC to control the 7th injector, a methanol-water injector, a AFR gauge, a radiator mister and several other 'upgrades'. A lot of work for what what ended up not happening. All of this has now been removed, restoring the 97 XJ back to its near stock condition.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/set ... 867119384/
All of supercharger related parts are for sale. It is 95% complete, needing the throttle cable bracket modified to bolt to the rear of the engine. The kit came with a bracket for the serpentine belt adjuster idler but I did not get to the point of determining how it fit. Neither a larger throttle body or serpentine belt was included in the kit.

Looking forward to receiving the parts from Russ and getting the engine assemble and in the XJ, in time for the summer's trips.
This is a great site with more than enough information to digest.
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: XJ 2 door

Re: A changed stroker

Post by gonridnu »

Sounds all good but why are you ditching the Edelbrock head?
lazyxj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by lazyxj »

gonridnu wrote:Sounds all good but why are you ditching the Edelbrock head?
Doing a little horse trading and keeping the cost down.
I already have too much money in the Jeep, my wife keeps telling me so.
IMO, not enough benefit to the ported Edelbrock head vs. what it is worth in new, unused condition.
A 630 head, worked over by Russ, has good flow numbers, enough for my needs.
MunkMaster
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by MunkMaster »

Sounds like you know what you want. Stick to your guns... no matter what your wife says! (don't tell my wife I said that)