Help/Guidance for a custom Modified Poor Man's Stroker Build

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
airmaster
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Help/Guidance for a custom Modified Poor Man's Stroker Build

Post by airmaster »

Hello Stroker Professionals,

I am considering doing a mild Modified Poor Man's Stroker to my stock 4.0L. I want to keep this as simple as possible, reliable as possible, and as inexpensive as possible (within reason). I care more about reliability than anything else (but of course I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't want a bit more power too haha). I've come to this decision after researching the internet and this forum like crazy. The forums have been greatly informative but now I am wanting to key in on what I'd personally need to make this a reality and would really appreciate input from you all!

Details: 1997 Wrangler 4.0L w/ 3 Spd Auto. Engine has 115,000 miles on it. Engine runs rather nicely. Only issues are a potential oil pump going sour (takes a few seconds for oil pressure to build), I have some very minor oil leaks at the pan I believe, and I've overheated the engine once or twice a while back before I was able to replace the water pump. I don't think any serious damage was incurred.

My Skills: I was an aircraft mechanic for nearly 6 years and am now an engineer so I have decent mechanical skills. I work on all of my cars and perform almost all of my own maintenance. I have plenty of hand tools but will need to purchase an engine hoist (anything else specific I may need?). I have never removed an entire engine as of yet and have very little experience taking apart an engine (did one in aviation school) BUT I don't mind learning on the go as I do all this and feel confident I can figure it out.

Desires: I want to keep as many stock components as I can. I want to keep the stock cam, stock rods, and stock rollers/lifters if possible. I'd prefer to keep things conservative and go with a smaller overbore (.020 from what I've gathered). I'd like to keep compression on the lower side for safety's sake but I do not mind having to use a higher octane fuel so long as it does not need to be higher than 91 or 93.

My Specific Questions: What are all the parts and tools I need to purchase to complete this build? (treat me like I'm a complete idiot and just spoon feed it to me please, haha) What options do I have for pistons? What do I need to request from a machine shop? What quench should I aim for? How far should I go in taking apart the engine? What accessories/parts should I upgrade while I am doing all this? Are there any specific tips I should keep in mind? How long is this realistically going to take?

I appreciate any and all advice guys. Let me know if I am being too demanding! :D I just want to ensure I have as much information as I can get.

If you think this is too big of a job for me or feel the stroker is going to be way more headaches than good, feel free to tell me and I'll stop now haha. My other option is to just take off the heads and do a mild engine refreshing without removing the engine from the Jeep but then I wouldn't get the power and torque gains I desire....

-Alex
airmaster

Re: Help/Guidance for a custom Modified Poor Man's Stroker Build

Post by airmaster »

And these are the basics details I am building off btw:

4.6L Modified "poor man's" stroker

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Custom forged +0.020" bore pistons, compression height 1.380", dish volume 26cc
9.25:1 CR
Stock 4.0 camshaft
DIY ported HO 1.91"/1.50" 57cc cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.043" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors for '87-'95 engines, Bosch 0280155703 injectors for '96-'04 engines, '98 Chevy LS1 25.2lb/hr injectors for '05-'06 engines
249hp @ 4900rpm, 303lbft @ 3500rpm ('87-'95 camshaft)
245hp @ 4700rpm, 315lbft @ 3000rpm ('96-'04 camshaft)
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Hi Alex,

You have a good basic kit formulated. I'd just add a few tweaks with the piston combination that allows for a tight quench and the possibility of not necessarily having to deck the block to save you a few bucks.

Feel free to shoot me an email I'll be happy to send you some information and pricing on my Pistons and related parts and stroker kit's

Russ
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
(626) 967-1000
Email/PayPal: [email protected]
airmaster

Post by airmaster »

Thanks Russ, just saw this now. Ill send ya an email tomorrow!