Thinking of doing a stroker.

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Badmunky
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Thinking of doing a stroker.

Post by Badmunky »

I pulled the motor out of our 04 Wrangler do to a tick I thought was a lifter. After getting out and pulling it apart for inspection I found the headgasket to be blown between 3 and 4 and the motor shows signs of piston slap.
So it needs a full rebuild.

I was thinking of doing a mini stroker as this is a daily driver not a toy.

But I don't know much about them and don't have much time to research this. I need to start ordering parts in the next day or so. There is so much info out there that I am overwhelmed.

I can build a motor. I have done it many times in the past. Just never built a Jeep stroker.

Looking for something that will run on 87. Be reliable. And make a little more power than stock.

What would this cost me?

Thanks for the help guys! I'm under the gun here as this is a daily driver and I can't live without it for long.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: Thinking of doing a stroker.

Post by jsawduste »

I commented on your pictures. That engine saw a lot of detonation as shown by the eroded edges of the piston. The coolant leak also washed down the cylinder(s).

Engine oil an Ethel glycol don't play nice together. Bearings would at least need to be checked. Including the cam bearings.

What I saw in your pictures is what we commonly seein #6 when the cylinder gets hot and lean. Not #1 as shown.

To answer your question the quickest way to get what you are looking for is to call Russ Pottenger. You can find him on this site. Or send me a message and I'll give you his number. You should know who this is.

I stopped building strokers a couple years ago but can help you out. Russ has done a great job and should be considered the go to guy.

If you need a crank 4.2 I have 12cwt available.
Badmunky
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Thinking of doing a stroker.

Post by Badmunky »

Sent you a message where I posted the pics.