Stroker Whats required?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Jarrods2000tj
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep

Stroker Whats required?

Post by Jarrods2000tj »

so im under the impression that my 4.0 is on its way out and im looking to build a stroker. But i dont know where to start!
i have a 4.0 block and i want to keep it cheap the list below is my plan of attack but i need some input to know if it will work and what the outcome will be

Stock 4.0 block punched .60 over, no decking just stock!
4.2 crank 12 weight stock, and 4.2 connecting rods just OE
Factor replacement 4.0 pistons for .60 over
New bearings and seals
factory head gasket
stock camshaft... if not do i need roller rockers for a comp cam?
ARP studs and bolts

if im missing anything let me know. its for my daily driver with light offroad use, any input will help thanks in advance!
Jarrods2000tj
Noob
Noob

Re: Stroker Whats required?

Post by Jarrods2000tj »

Anyone?
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

You are missing a lot. Not trying to be rude, but it seems you haven't done the basic research. Search for Dino Savva's website on Jeep 4.0 and stroker performance and read up to get you started. I also recommend Russ Potter on this board to lay out a parts list and possibly talk your machine shop through some of the details.

What is your budget?
Jarrods2000tj
Noob
Noob

Post by Jarrods2000tj »

budget is around $1500
Ive been messing with the calculator and it seems you can use mostly stock components without decking the block.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Your right you can but you won't be happy with the results.

Search more, this topic is discussed at least once a week.
Jarrods2000tj
Noob
Noob

Post by Jarrods2000tj »

im just trying to figure out the best combo of parts, i need it to be reliable, whats the suggested build ?
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

Seek and be rewarded with the how and why.

Most important to understand the why.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Jarrods2000tj wrote:budget is around $1500
Ive been messing with the calculator and it seems you can use mostly stock components without decking the block.
You're going to be hard-pressed to build a decent 4.7 on a $1500.00 budget in which I'm assuming Machine work costs are also included in that figure

There is a cast piston short rod combination that works but it'll require decking the block .060ish and a CNC modified dish on a 2229 piston to something like 24 to 26cc depending what you're finished combustion chamber comes out to.

I advise you to go over and look at Dino's web page and write ups. He's compacted a lot of information and combinations.

Lastly if you're needing to stick to something around your $1500.00 budget you might want to consider doing a 232 based 3.500 Stroker often referred to as the Mini Stroker.
It could be done without decking the block or modifying the stock 2229 cast piston.
The price on my mini stroker kit and Machine work starts at $1700.00
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Jarrods2000tj wrote:budget is around $1500
With the cheapest 4.2L cranks going for $250+, custom pistons with rings costing $450+, plus the cost of reconditioned 4.0L connecting rods, cylinder overbore, timing set, oil pump, freeze plugs, head porting/valve grind, performance camshaft, lifters, pushrods, valve springs/retainers, oversize injectors, and gasket sets, a 4.7L stroker build will cost you close to $3000 plus assembly and installation. That's without even adding the cost of the supporting bolt ons (cold air intake, bigger bore throttle body, header, 2.5" downpipe, high flow cat, and performance cat-back) that are required to reach 270+hp. A 4.2L mini-stroker would cost about $500 less but even that's still way beyond your budget.
For $1500 I think your ambition will be limited to an essentially stock engine rebuild with one or two performance parts.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Jarrods2000tj
Noob
Noob

Post by Jarrods2000tj »

The block I'm using will have to be punched out due to grooving. So what I'm getting from this is I can't use even the 4.2 crank with 4.0 rods and pistons without decking the block?
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

You can, but with custom pistons which Russ sells. I would recommend this route. It's not within your budget though. Then again, no stroker really is.
Jarrods2000tj
Noob
Noob

Post by Jarrods2000tj »

I'm not worried about the cost of the misc parts like seals and stuff, I already have the head I'm just trying to keep the main assembly below the $1500 range
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Jarrods2000tj wrote:I'm not worried about the cost of the misc parts like seals and stuff, I already have the head I'm just trying to keep the main assembly below the $1500 range
If you send me an email i'd be happy to put a proposal together for you so you could see a breakdown in cost in parts of my more moderately priced kits.

In the meantime you'll get more information over at http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com

Russ
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

Russ, while I know your kits are the ones to be measured against and anything that comes out of your shop is 1st rate.

There are still WAY to may folks like this OP who don't understand WHY things are built as they are. Compression, quench, cam dynamics etc. You know without a doubt what I am referring to.

Whereas Dino`s site is very helpful there still leaves a lot on the table as to WHY successful strokers are built as they are. This point and this point alone is what I was hoping the OP would search into and learn.

Perhaps I read to much into things. Perhaps some folks are happy just being told buy this and build that. Without the need for understanding how things work in harmony.

I do recall our recent conversation on one of your next endeavors. Maybe these thoughts will be addressed at least on the macro level ?
Jarrods2000tj
Noob
Noob

Post by Jarrods2000tj »

jsawduste wrote:Russ, while I know your kits are the ones to be measured against and anything that comes out of your shop is 1st rate.

There are still WAY to may folks like this OP who don't understand WHY things are built as they are. Compression, quench, cam dynamics etc. You know without a doubt what I am referring to.

Whereas Dino`s site is very helpful there still leaves a lot on the table as to WHY successful strokers are built as they are. This point and this point alone is what I was hoping the OP would search into and learn.

Perhaps I read to much into things. Perhaps some folks are happy just being told buy this and build that. Without the need for understanding how things work in harmony.

I do recall our recent conversation on one of your next endeavors. Maybe these thoughts will be addressed at least on the macro level ?
I look at it this way I'm going to build it once and one time only! I'm not Gona d*ck around with the math behind it if someone has a parts list for a recipe that allready works. If I knew i would get more flack then help on this forum I will just boost a rebuilt 4.0 and drag a**. Not trying to be a d*ck just trying to figure out what works together and not the web sight you keep quoting leaves a lot of info left to be found! Rant done...