Camshaft selection

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
jusber15
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: YJ

Camshaft selection

Post by jusber15 »

Hello all,

I realize this isn't a stroker motor, but i'm posting my issue here because you guys know these motors inside and out, better than anyone. I cant seem to get any good info from anywhere else.

Lets get the basics out of the way. 1993 with a stock 4.0. Not a daily driver but used on roads and highways often. Moderate trail use, nothing crazy. I'm currently in the middle of replacing the camshaft due to a flat lobe.

Here is my issue. I have spent nearly three hours googling and scouring the net for the info I need on a camshaft upgrade, but haven't been able to find what I need. This is where you guys come in.

I'm in search of a cam that won't give me issues with the stock EFI system. I don't want to have to get my head machined and a bunch of other crazy mods to get this done. I'm not afraid of changing valve springs if you guys can point me to which ones I need to use.

I'm currently looking at the CompCams Xtreme 4X4 68-231-4. It looks like the lift is just a shade above the max recommendations for the stock springs. I don't whine this thing up to redline ever. I doubt I've ever had it much past 3500, so I don't need any crazy high RPM springs.

Has anyone ever ran this cam (or any other cam for that matter) in a stock type application like mine. Last thing I want to do is shove a new stick in this motor and find out that the ECM hates it and makes it run like ****. Ive been down that road once before (comp cams ground me a cam for my stock Grand Cherokee and it sucked)

Thanks.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Camshaft selection

Post by Russ Pottenger »

I sell a camshaft that Comp grinds for me that would be perfect for your application.

It's based off of a 68-242-4 with the lift lowered to .435 on the intake and .448 on the exhaust. This camshaft will allow you to maintain your stock valve springs.

The second recommendation which I'm sure you'll appreciate, is to have the camshaft nitrided. This is done in house at Comp and will virtually eliminate any chance of the camshaft ever going flat.

I currently have them in stock on my shelf and are popular upgrades to stock 4.0's and mild Strokers with stock heads.

It's a little bit more expensive because it being a custom grind at $180.00 and the heat treat adding an additional $115.00, but I feel it's well worth it.

Feel free to shoot me a call or email,

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Fax (626) 967-7836
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]