quench heigth

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
jason_alex_2009
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.6?
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wj

quench heigth

Post by jason_alex_2009 »

Hey guys, i was wondering what do you guys see as the ideal quench height i know a lot of people talk about .043 that increases my compression to 9.85 static and i would like to run 87 but understand i may have to settle for 89. this compression seams high where at if i dont deck i would be at .0215 and a quench of .0645 is that totally unreasonable and static compression of 9.44
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: quench heigth

Post by Russ Pottenger »

jason_alex_2009 wrote:Hey guys, i was wondering what do you guys see as the ideal quench height i know a lot of people talk about .043 that increases my compression to 9.85 static and i would like to run 87 but understand i may have to settle for 89. this compression seams high where at if i dont deck i would be at .0215 and a quench of .0645 is that totally unreasonable and static compression of 9.44
Jason,
The question you asked is what prompted me to get into the piston business.

We'll start with the most desirable quench is to get the piston as close to the cylinder head at top dead center and not hit it. Depending on piston material, piston to cylinder wall clearances, and choice and connecting rods clearances may very. Considering these factors, The engines that I build our between .030 and .045 net clearance.

As you properly pointed out none of my competitors that I'm aware of is making a shelf piston with the proper compression height (unless you want to machine .040 off the deck of the block) and correct dish volume to get a desired static compression ratio.

The typical deck height on a factory 4.0 block is 9.451 to 9.458
When I deck a block in my shop I'll machine it to 9.450
With my typical compression height of 1.385 that will put my piston .008 out. With a Felpro .051 head gasket that'll give you .043 piston to cylinder head. If you use a Mopar/ Victor Reinz .043 gasket you will be at .035 at TDC.
As you can see both head gasket choices will allow you to fall into an ideal quench specification.

Because I stock pistons in 12 different dish volumes i'll be able to get you into a piston that will get you to your ideal static compression ratio. Matched up with my affordable bushed steel connecting rods it makes it easy to get exacting and predictable tolerances.

Anybody interested in more information on my Pistons, connecting rods, and my specialty components that go into my Stroker kits don't hesitate to shoot me a call or email.

Thanks,

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Fax (626) 967-7836
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: quench heigth

Post by dwg86 »

Thanks for the info, Russ. I was unaware that you stocked so many different pistons. When my 4.0 gives up, I'll be giving you a call.