Question about decking the block

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
charley3
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Question about decking the block

Post by charley3 »

I'm new to strokers, so I have a basic question to ask.

It's my understanding that the Jeep 4L block isn't quite tall enough for a 258 crankshaft long stroke using stock hyperautic 4L pistions and stock 4L rods because pistons would crash into the head. Is that correct?

So we have to then use either a shorter rod (4.2L rods) or pistons that aren't as tall. All because the block is a bit to short for a stroker, but we work around that to make a stroker anyway. Is that correct?

So why do people shave material off the block (decking) to make the block shorter, when it's already to short to be ideal? I don't understand that.

It seems to me that we should want a taller block so we could use a more stable shape taller piston (like a stock 4L piston) with long rods and a long stroke crankshaft (258 crank).
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Question about decking the block

Post by Russ Pottenger »

I offer a custom forged piston where it's not necessary to deck the block. A 6.123 4.0 connecting rod is used.

A minimum surface of the block is to ensure that the deck is parallel to the centerline of the mains.

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
(626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]