Considering stroker for towing

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
UberDuper
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Considering stroker for towing

Post by UberDuper »

I've got an 01 TJ on 33s with 4.56 gears and a 5 speed. It's a DD and I've recently started trying to tow a 1 ton load with it. My last trip, driving into a mild headwind, I couldn't keep it above 55 - 60mph. Way I see it, I've got two options. I can replace it with something better suited to towing or stroker.

I joined here about a year ago, read quite a lot and came to a good understanding of the what/why of these recipes. I've since forgotten most of it. I realize that I'm ultimately going to contact Russ and go with his recommendations and parts if I decide to go this route, but for fun, let's have a thread. :D

My first question, how much torque do I need to comfortably tow that load? Combined weight of TJ and trailer is probably somewhere north of 5500lbs.
What would a 4.7L medium buck modified to run on 87 look like power wise? Would it even be worth doing instead of the low CR rockcrawler build?

The cost difference between 87 and 93 around here is about $0.50. I get 13mpg today on average (maybe 8mpg when towing). That doesn't break the bank but if my power goals are modest enough that 87 is sufficient, why not?

Appreciate any input you guys have.

SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Considering stroker for towing

Post by SkylinesSuck »

The real issue with towing with a TJ is stopping, not going. I think 2k lb is right about the practical limit.
UberDuper

Post by UberDuper »

That's a problem for sure. I've got electric trailer brakes on it and have been able to stop quite well.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

I've towed around a 2k lb load with my 5 speed stroker on 32's with 4.10's and it didn't have any trouble going 70 into the breeze. Just left the cruise control on and it did normal rolling hills just fine. I'm sure for steep grades I would need to up shift, but so do most V8 trucks. Stopping was very sketchy, but the trailer didn't have brakes of any sort. YMMV.
6TIME
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: CHEROKEE

Post by 6TIME »

My rig has 31's and a 5sp with 3.73's. I've towed a 21' Maibu boat with a 350 chev. all summer long for years with my 4.6. With the tandem axle trailer it weighs right near 4000lbs. The stroker does the job very well. Agreed on the brakes though.. You need some sort of trailer brakes to stop well if pulling over 1500-2k lbs.
nicpaige
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: XJ
Vehicle Model: Sport

Post by nicpaige »

These guys pretty much nailed it. Breaks on your trailer will do wonders and are really mandatory but you already know that. The stroker can only help, you need torque gains above 2500rpm. I'm sure Russ can get you the right head, cam combination. What are your rpm's at highway speeds while towing? By the way I just bought a 2017 Can-Am Commander so we will be towing the same things.
UberDuper

Post by UberDuper »

Speed limits around here are generally 70 and 75mph. That's 2500- 2700rpm in 5th with my tires/gears. I figure I'm looking for more torque between 2k and 3.5k rpm.

I paid a pretty hefty price tag for an aluminum trailer to stay under the limit and also re-geared from 3.73 to 4.56 just to make it possible to haul my RZR around. Pretty disappointed that that wasn't enough.
UberDuper

Post by UberDuper »

Would someone confirm for me that I'm looking for a 2000+ TJ or 1999+ WJ 4.0 block? Ideally a 2003+ long block for a TUPY head?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

Get a 2002-2006 TJ block.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
UberDuper

Post by UberDuper »

Picking up a '99 bare block and a 03 TUPY head tomorrow. The ball is rolling now.