Bang for the buck - bolt in stroker?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
dbrooke11
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Wrangler
Vehicle Model: Sport

Bang for the buck - bolt in stroker?

Post by dbrooke11 »

Hello.. first time poster,
I blew an engine this week on my 2002 TJ sport. I was already looking at new engines and performance improvements due to high mileage and other reasons.

For me, I don't have a great engine rebuild shop around here and will have to go the plug'n play route... meaning a "bolt-in" crate engine to keep things simple and quick to get back on the road.

I like the idea of a stroker engine due to the extra HP's for my 33 inch tires.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an affordable-but-reliable stroker crate solution?

I'm in Wisconsin, USA.

Thanks!
Donovan
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Bang for the buck - bolt in stroker?

Post by SkylinesSuck »

I'm happy with my Golen and they will ship. Not cheap though. Depending on your idea of "affordable" you might have a tough time finding somebody with a good name to ship you a ready to run stroker. How much did you plan to spend?
steve76t
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ Sport

Post by steve76t »

I have a new Golen stroker in my 01 TJ. Only have 800+ miles on it, but it was as easy as it gets for an install, much better power than stock, happy as can be with it. It's not the cheapest option, but Golen has a good reputation and great customer service, quality build with quality parts, added break-in oil and new injectors with my order. You can even have it broke-in for you before shipping for an extra charge. I didn't choose that option.

There's also S&J Engines that build strokers that are a little cheaper. I could be wrong, but I think the S&J stroker may be built with mostly stock parts and a Scat crank. Head porting, high quality pistons & rings, cam, etc. may all be extra costs. Lower output stoker compared to Golen or ATK crate motors.
Shapoopie99
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: WJ

Post by Shapoopie99 »

I have a S&J and am quite happy with it. It has the KB 944 pistons and Scat crank. It has been a very noticible improvement in HP and TQ. We have over three feet of snow this year and I have been driving through it and pulling stuck people out of it all over the place much easier then I used to. It has about 2000 miles on it and has broken in quite well.

Here's some numbers and who to contact.
~ Scat 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
~ Jeep 4.2L 5.875" rods
~ Keith-Black IC-944 +0.030" bore pistons
~ Increase piston dish volume to 30cc
8.8:1 CR
~ Crane #750501 192/204 degree camshaft
~ 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
~ Mill block deck 0.035"
~ Mopar Performance 0.043" head gasket
~ 0.058" quench height
~ 2.25" exhaust
~ Ford 24lb/hr injectors with stock 39psi FPR for '87-'95 engines, stock injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines
~ 231hp @ 4400rpm, 327lbft @ 2000rpm
Casey Fulks
S & J Engines, Inc.
Spokane, WA 99201
800\942.7800 Ext 302
www.sandjengines.com
Building Performance Pledging Excellence

They use the build from hesco and I would say the numbers for HP and TQ are a quoted on the low side. On the seat of the pants dyno it seems to be higher.

I am using bosch injectors from a Cadillac north star 4.7 and a 62mm bbk throttle body. It needed both or would hit a wall at 4000rpm. It easily revs to 5000rpm. Also a SS header and flowmaster complete 2.25 exhaust with small spun high flow cat.
I port matched and polished the head for flow but stayed with stock valving and the mild cam.
Its pulls like a son of a B from 2100 to about 4500 rpm and runs at 75 on the freeway at about 1700rpm. It started out pretty tight at about 11mpg mixed but is getting better up to about 14mpg city and 19 highway. I don't do much highway and only have a two mile drive to work and I knew that going in.
I will get a flying Ryan or christune for it in spring but it seems to have learned its way out of most of its idle problems.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

You don't have 4.2l rods with the KB944 pistons.
Shapoopie99
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: WJ

Post by Shapoopie99 »

You are correct. My mistake I have the long 4.0 rods.
MtPockets
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Post by MtPockets »

That 7 year/100k mile warranty from S&J seems a bit unreal for a performance motor.
They must really have faith in their engines.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Or they know nobody will like take them up on their warranty unless they are local to them. In most cases it's not worth it unless you can pull the motor and drive it to them yourself, then reverse the process.