Hyper pistons for long rods?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Z1500
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Hyper pistons for long rods?

Post by Z1500 »

Apparently KB has hyper pistons that have the 1.38 pin height and a big dish. Titan shows them in a kit on their website. Anybody have a part number or know where I can get just those pistons? I really don't want to build my stroker with forged pistons.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Hyper pistons for long rods?

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Double check, I may be wrong but I think they're full Circular dish Pistons.

I'm curious why would you prefer a cast piston over 4032 high silicon aluminum alloy forged piston?
Z1500

Post by Z1500 »

Yes, those are a big deep dish piston. Not sure if they are custom for Titan or what.

I work in the really high performance turbo world and deal with forged piston motors every day. If I can get away from all the loose piston to wall issues in my personal vehicles, then I want to. The blowby and piston slap is just annoying.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Z1500 wrote:Yes, those are a big deep dish piston. Not sure if they are custom for Titan or what.

I work in the really high performance turbo world and deal with forged piston motors every day. If I can get away from all the loose piston to wall issues in my personal vehicles, then I want to. The blowby and piston slap is just annoying.
No problem,

The 4032 alloy is a pretty tight fitting piston and has real good scuff resistance. At .0025 it shouldn't have any noticeable noise when brought up to temperature.
I also could can get a reverse mirror dome dish up to 28cc
and keep them in stock in 3.905 and 3.935 bores.
Z1500

Post by Z1500 »

Message me some prices. Those might be the just right.

Seems like reconditioned stock rods are the standard here? Are they really that good? Cause new Scat rods with ARP's are pretty darn cheap and I think are forged.
bugaboots
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: Grand

Post by bugaboots »

I ordered the pistons you are asking about, rough measurements I took before installing put the dish roughly in the 29cc range with a .060 over piston. If you want the piston model number I can get it off the box, just need to dig it up in the garage.
Z1500

Post by Z1500 »

bugaboots wrote:I ordered the pistons you are asking about, rough measurements I took before installing put the dish roughly in the 29cc range with a .060 over piston. If you want the piston model number I can get it off the box, just need to dig it up in the garage.

Yes, Please.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Z1500 wrote:Message me some prices. Those might be the just right.

Seems like reconditioned stock rods are the standard here? Are they really that good? Cause new Scat rods with ARP's are pretty darn cheap and I think are forged.
I have a package combo on my Pistons and rods.

As previously stated my piston can be made with any dish up to 28cc without it being a circular dish.

My Pistons, Pins, and clips pinfitted are $495.00 a set.

Scat makes a steel connecting rod for me on a proprietorial basis. It's a different forging then they sell through their catalog.

My Rod is a fully profiled rod with no balance pads at either end. This makes it much easier to install The factory main stud girdle, at the same time taking about 75 g total weight off the rod.
Rods come with ARP 8740 3/8 cap screw rod bolts with the caps located by stainless dowels.

Here comes the bonus in the package. If you purchase the connecting rods with my Pistons, I'll bush the rods for a full floating pin and upgrade the wrist pin to a much lighter and stronger Chevy .927 wrist pin at No Additional Charge.
For a limited time I'm selling the bushed steel rod for $325.00 a set.

If you factor in the cost of rebuilding a stock set of cast 4.0 rods, replacing the bolts to replacement 11/32 ARP, match balance them end to end, pay A local machine shop to press your old Pistons off and install your new press fit Pistons you'll most likely be within $60-$70 to a significantly upgraded rod and piston package.

Feel free to shoot me a call or email I'd be happy to send you pictures of my Pistons, Rods, and any of my other products along with any information that you would like.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]
Z1500

Post by Z1500 »

Interesting. I do like floating pistons. What length are your rods?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Z1500 wrote:Interesting. I do like floating pistons. What length are your rods?
The typical piston I keep on the shelf utilizes a 1.385 CH

You could choose the deck the block or not, but with a 9.450 deck height your piston will be .008 out and that will allow you to run either a Felpro.051 composition head gasket or a .043 MLS Mopar/Victor Rines head gasket.
Z1500

Post by Z1500 »

Since you seem to be the man in the know here. Do you do anything with a little longer stroke crank?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Not that there wouldn't be any advantages to increase a stroke beyond 3.895, but my opinion is the gains made wouldn't be worth it for the money spent. Therefore my focus has been to improve both power and reliability in the most cost effective manner as possible to largest potential market.

My racing background has taught me is that you can make a pretty significant gains to a point. Just up to and shortly there after that "point" ( money and time resources ) the gains drastically start diminishing.

For that reason I work hard to make cost-effective upgrades in my Pistons, Connecting Rods, Camshafts, Rocker arms, along with my ported cylinder heads and intake manifolds so the average guy can afford these upgrades which are significant.