Stroker identification and questions

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Yaniv_Y
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: WranglerTJ

Stroker identification and questions

Post by Yaniv_Y »

hello !
I own 06 wrangler TJ for almost 2 years and a month ago my engine starts to knook , when i took apart the engine i was discovered few things , num 4 piston has been disintegrate and the parts from the piston screw up the plug and the cyilnder and i notice that my rods and probably the crank was not the stock one .
the previous owner strok the engine and didnet tell me so , and i have no idia what kind of stroker it is and how to make it work right .
the cylinder head is 7120 insted the 0331 ( why ? the previous owner did so and i really dont know why.. )
the block is stock 06 TJ block
the camshaft stock
but i need your help to try identify the rods and crank
i I bought new sealed power h802cp .040 pistons and over size to 0.40- thay are any good ? fit my stroker well ? (thay are the only kind i was able to find where i live .. )

another thing i was noticed is thats there 2 gasket between the block and the head (the 3 layer stock one + another layer between)
i replace it with only 1 3 layer victor new gasket and i worried , cuz i pretty sure there is acause for the more lyaer setup .

i also sew here in the fourm thats its recommended to replace the injectors , and i read about the 05 and 06 TJ have better fule pupm that can be use with LS1 Injectors , i was looking for LS 1 injectors on EBAY and found alot of diffrent types and i not sure what will fit and what not.. can someone help me find the right Injectors to use in 06 wrangler TJ with my kind of engine setup ?

I apologize in advance for spelling errors -its not my native language .
and thanks you for the comments !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnj92131
Making Progress
Making Progress

Re: Stroker identification and questions

Post by johnj92131 »

I think I would stop buying stuff till I figured out what I needed first. Has you block been overbored in the past or is it stock bore and you intend to bore it to .040 oversize? Your rods should have a casting number on them, that should help identify them. Your crank should also have a casting number to identify it.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

johnj92131 wrote:I think I would stop buying stuff till I figured out what I needed first. Has you block been overbored in the past or is it stock bore and you intend to bore it to .040 oversize? Your rods should have a casting number on them, that should help identify them. Your crank should also have a casting number to identify it.
X2,

The 802 pistons you purchased are Hypereutectic cast Pistons that has had some problems cracking.

If you're able to return your pistons you might want to consider an upgraded rotating assembly utilizing the longer and more desirable 4.0 based rod and a set of Forged 4032 high silicone aluminum alloy Pistons. They don't cost that much more than the Pistons that you got.

You're more than welcome to shoot me a call or email
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
(626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

The crank looks like a short snout, 4cwt version used in the '87-'90 258 (4.2L) YJ engine.
I'd assume that the rods you have are from a 258 (4.2L) since you've ordered a set of H802CP pistons.
I agree with Russ; send back those 802 pistons and get a set of 4.0L rods with custom forged pistons. The cost difference isn't that great and you'll have a better end result.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Russ Pottenger wrote:
johnj92131 wrote:I think I would stop buying stuff till I figured out what I needed first. Has you block been overbored in the past or is it stock bore and you intend to bore it to .040 oversize? Your rods should have a casting number on them, that should help identify them. Your crank should also have a casting number to identify it.
X2,

The 802 pistons you purchased are Hypereutectic cast Pistons that has had some problems cracking.

If you're able to return your pistons you might want to consider an upgraded rotating assembly utilizing the longer and more desirable 4.0 based rod and a set of Forged 4032 high silicone aluminum alloy Pistons. They don't cost that much more than the Pistons that you got.

You're more than welcome to shoot me a call or email
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
(626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]

X3. The picture of the rods you posted have a 352 casting number with an AMC symbol. Those are short 258 rods. Scat sells a nice set of 4.0L, 6.125 forged connecting rods.
If the engine requires stacking a head gasket, something is wrong. You need measure the deck height.
Yaniv_Y

Post by Yaniv_Y »

thanks you guys on your comments !

yes my block was overbored to the size of the pistons and yes i know i was sholdent buy stuff before i go deep on this .. but its my daliy drive and ineeded to get it fix fast so i just buy the pistons that was available in my country , ordering the good stuff maby cost the same but is take more time i dont have right now ..
so its too late for me to change things now .i alrady close the engine and i hope i finish all the rest of the work in the next few days and start the engine and see whats going on.. .
about the deck height , itryed to measure it before i closed the engine by measure the gap from the firs piston at TDC to the block deck i not sure if this is the right way to measure this but the resulte was 0.0511 inch or 1.3 mm , thats good ?
i sew there is lots of recipe for stroker engine and i wonder what kind of recipe is my stroker like , and whats its meaning in terms of performence ?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

With a Victor Reinz .043 gasket I'm guessing you should have a static between 9.3:1 to 9.4:1. That should be fine as long as you upgrade you're fuel injectors
Yaniv_Y

Post by Yaniv_Y »

What injectors should I buy? How can I know what type of injector will fit my jeep ?
I sew in another post at this fourm a recommendation for ls1 injectors for 2005-06 Tj but I find it hard to identify the exact type of ls 1 injectors that will fit me .
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

Yaniv_Y wrote:about the deck height , itryed to measure it before i closed the engine by measure the gap from the firs piston at TDC to the block deck i not sure if this is the right way to measure this but the result was 0.0511 inch or 1.3 mm , thats good ?
i sew there is lots of recipe for stroker engine and i wonder what kind of recipe is my stroker like , and whats its meaning in terms of performence ?
Your stroker seems to be close in spec to my original poor man's recipe which is what I'm running in my Jeep.
With the 4.2L rods & H802CP pistons I'd expect the deck clearance to be 0.039" +/- 0.005". Add a Victor Reinz 0.043" head gasket and the quench height becomes ~0.082" with a static compression ratio of 9.6-9.7 (assuming 57cc combustion chambers). Unfortunately you might have to run premium fuel to reduce the risk of detonation. I'm running 95 RON octane (91 US) on stock RC12LYC Champion plugs and a static compression ratio of 9.25.
Yaniv_Y

Post by Yaniv_Y »

Upgrade injectors will reduce the risk of detonation evem with 95RON ?
My plan was to use 98ron till I buy new injectors and tHan go back to 95 cuz the 98 is really expensive here, about 3 dollars for a liter .

Yestarday I was straring the engine but there is a massiv vacom leak from the intake maby , so at the first start the engine revs to 4k and while we try to fix the vaccom leak we started up few times so the engine revs high we dident let it rev for more than 5 sec at any time but we made like 4 trys did it screw my break up and can damage my engine?

Thank for the comments guys !!
Yaniv_Y

Post by Yaniv_Y »

UPDATE

done so far 400 miles on the new engine and i think igot detonation , on high RPM (after 3000) and under load (while driving not reving on N) igot like arattlaing sound that i think is detonation itryied swich to 98RON and there is an improvnet but on HIGH RPM the rattaling sound come back ..
maby ineed to refule several times to clean the system from 95 ?
I thought about replacing the stock injectors but i really need help to choose the rhight injector that will fit
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

Yaniv_Y wrote:I thought about replacing the stock injectors but i really need help to choose the right injector that will fit
Here ya go: '98 Chevy LS1 25.2lb/hr @ 58.0psi (Part no. 12533952)
Yaniv_Y

Post by Yaniv_Y »

i found this on ebay :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UPGRADE-Set-of- ... fT&vxp=mtr

thay have the same part number (12533952) , thay will fit witout any change to my jeep ?
they pretty expensive and i just wont to be sure at 100% thay will fit .

thanks!!
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

Yup. Those are correct.
Yaniv_Y

Post by Yaniv_Y »

UPDATE !
thank you all for the comments!

Today I was on a tuning shop and reprogram the ECU and solve the detonation issue, its was appear to be a problem with the ECU.
The engine was running really lean on fuel after few runs on the dyno and tuning we manage to fix it and so far it's running good and on 95RON instead the more expensive 98.
the guy from the shop told me the injectors are fine and we don't really get to their limit so no need to replace them now.

there is some pic of the dyno run and the log.
its 180HP "on the wheel" and the torque its about 282 lb-ft that's good enough for this kind of stroker or something is wrong ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.