4.7 Finally Hit The Street - Here's My First Impressions

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
06-Rubicon
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Rubicon

4.7 Finally Hit The Street - Here's My First Impressions

Post by 06-Rubicon »

I just finished my 4.7 stroker build and yesterday started putting some miles on it. I figured that here would be a good place to document my impressions.

First off, the build is for a 2006 LJ Rubicon, transmission is the original 6-spd manual. The Jeep is lifted 4” and runs 34” tires, as well as what seems like several hundred extra pounds of weight in the form of armor plating, a cage, a heavy winch up front and a heavy bumper/spare on the rear. 2006 is the last year Chrysler used the 4.0, and there are some oddities with the 2005 and 2006 engines that I had to account for during this build. I wish to thank Russ Pottenger for not just providing all the parts for this build, but for spending hours of his time on the phone with myself and my mechanic to explain just what it is we got ourselves into when we embarked on this effort.

The stroker recipe is roughly what Dino documents as the 4.7L Medium Buck Stroker. Russ specced out a Scat 3.895” stroke crank, Scat 6.125” rods, .060 bored pistons, comp. height 1.385 with 22cc dish. (Russ, if you’re reading this feel free to correct me on the exact specs.) The cam is a Comp Cam 68-0005 206/214 and the head was sourced from Clearwater and had the full Russ Pottenger Treatment done to it with Chevy LS1 valves and a full porting and polishing. The ’05 and ’06 4.0 engines used an oddball throttle body that had to be custom opened up to 62mm. I couldn’t use an earlier TB on this engine as there are a couple of additional electronic sensors on it that the computer needs in order to figure everything out and not blow any codes through the OBD2 in doing so. I know, I tried. Another thing that appears to be unique to the ’05 and ’06 engines are the fuel injectors, in my case more Chevy LS1 parts under the hood.

Aside from a supplier issue with the connecting rods, this engine swap has taken far more time than I ever thought it would when I started this project. For the most part time has been taken by a lot of associated support parts that also got swapped / upgraded over the course of this effort. With the increased displacement of the 4.7, and the fact that the original cooling system was 10 years and 91K miles old, I thought it best to replace the radiator during the swap with a heavier duty two row unit. Also decided on a full 2 1/2 inch exhaust, that on my particular Wrangler needed to be bent special to clear my suspension at full travel and full rest. Might as well put in a new clutch while I’m at it, you get the picture. Also after getting the engine in we discovered (the hard way) that the Camshaft Position Sensor had failed and needed replacement. The check engine light finally went off after replacing that sensor.

My first impression after starting it up is that throttle response is very touchy - a quick blip of the gas pedal spins the engine up to 2K RPM almost instantaneously. This is undoubtedly the result of the balancing of all the internal components plus the 62mm Throttle Body upgrade, the old 4.0 *never* reacted to throttle inputs this fast.

So yesterday I was finally able to take it out and drive it on the street. The first thing I noticed is the sound of the exhaust - yeah, I knew what I was getting when I replaced everything from the head on back with high flow performance stuff, so the days of silent rock crawling appear to be over. I never went beyond 3K RPM - I’m breaking it in - but one can only imagine what it will sound like north of 4.5K. I am getting used to it though, the low rumble at idle is starting to sound… good. :)

The second thing I noticed is the massive amount of torque right after idle. To compensate for the old 4.0 I replaced the gears long ago with 4.56’s so first gear is already quite short, I’m thinking now that as the engine gets broken in I may be starting off from rest in second gear. The power develops quickly and I’m in sixth gear no sooner than 40 MPH. The thing is, the power is usable right across the RPM range, from right off idle to over 3K. It’s like driving my son’s Mustang GT - there’s usable power to move this thing in any gear, the only question is what RPM do I desire to use in doing so? A couple short freeway runs at 65 MPH pointed out that downshifting is no longer needed for a quick sprint to get around a semi and back into the right lane before my next exit, you just roll into the throttle and the engine responds, even in 6th gear.

Driving in heavy traffic on a hot day (high 90’s) yesterday afternoon with the A/C on I briefly saw 227 degrees on the digital temp display. We put a 195 degree thermostat in and the whole cooling system is new so this didn’t make sense, so I kept my eye on it. This was with only about 4 to 6 miles on the new engine so I started to think it might have to do with break-in. After coming home and shutting it down I swapped out the digital display with a new one (this was a planned upgrade anyway) and added a bit of water to the radiator. After that I started to see temps no higher than 211, mostly 209 and in this morning’s heavy traffic and low morning temp (71 degrees) I never saw anything higher than 205. I’m thinking that as the engine breaks in there might be less friction thus less heat? Does that make sense?

Other than that, the all knowing and all seeing engine control computer on the late model 2006 seems to have adjusted to the new parts and displacement quite well. The engine idles at about 700 RPM and no codes and no check engine light have been thrown. The engine seems to run smooth with no odd vibrations at any RPM range.

Joe
mmmdiesel
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Model: LJ Rubicon

Re: 4.7 Finally Hit The Street - Here's My First Impressions

Post by mmmdiesel »

Man I wish I had this kind of experience with my 2006 LJ stroker, automatic.

I just finished putting in a 4.6 low compression stroker last weekend. Same cam specs as yours, with keith black HE pistons, .020 over, CR of 8.8:1. The plan is to eventually supercharge it. Mine won't idle and has absolutely no power, feels worse than a 4cyl. Reading the ECM shows significantly lean ratios, so I ordered a wideband gauge which should be here tomorrow. It looks like I'm going to have to remap the computer, at least I hope thats all I have to do. I don't believe I wiped the cam because there was no metal in the oil and no valve noise when its running.

It runs fine above about 1600 RPM, but below it surges due to a lean condition. I haven't been able to find a vacuum leak either. I didn't change the injectors because the stock injectors with the increased pressure as you mentioned should provide plenty of margin with about an 85% duty cycle at full throttle. I also didn't change my head, just had a valve job done, and didn't put a header on it because the internals ate most of my budget.

Did you change your injectors, or leave them factory? If so, what part number did you use?
06-Rubicon
Noob
Noob

Post by 06-Rubicon »

Yes, you'll need a new set of injectors, your engine needs more juice. Here's the exact ones I used, and I'm thinking that for my build I'm a bit on the small side but I wanted to start with something and see how things panned out. Note that on the '05 and '06 our fuel pump is different from all earlier models. You'll also need these little adapters to go between the new injectors and the OE wiring harness if you don't want to cut and splice. I'm at work now and don't have the part number handy for those things, but it was easy finding them on the web.

Injector (The 1999-2000 Chevy LS1 Injector) These flow a bit more than 26.2 Lb/hr @ 4 Bar, should work fine for 268 Hp. Different part numbers depending on where you source them, but they are the same exact part.

Bosch: 280 155 890
GM: 12555894

Double and triple check your Cam Position Sensor and your Crankshaft Position Sensor. When we first started it we couldn't get it to idle either - and the codes it returned made no sense. We ended up swapping the Cam Position Sensor with a known good one (it helps that we have access to another 2006 LJ exactly the same as mine, but largely stock) and it started then.

Joe
06-Rubicon
Noob
Noob

Post by 06-Rubicon »

One more thing: Did you upgrade to a 62mm Throttle Body? You need to get more air in there to account for the increased displacement. The stock exhaust header on the '05 - '06 is actually not bad if you haven't opened up your head, so you should be good there.

Joe
mmmdiesel

Post by mmmdiesel »

Thanks for the information.

I'm not having a timing issue or any other problem, in fact there are zero codes, just won't idle. Ran fine to break in the cam and above 1600 runs fine, just lean. I'm no stranger to remapping ECUs, I just didn't expect to have to do it to get the thing to idle at all. I'd rather remap it than trick it with new injectors, just me being an anal Engineer. Your post came up and I thought it was strange that you hadn't had issues and I was having a ton.

In reality you should remap your ECU because the 2006 ECUs (possibly 2005, not sure) are NGC3 controllers, which are mapped on volumetric efficiency and direct injector flow. You could probably get more power out of yours by remapping it.

I will have to make an injector change whenever I put a supercharger on (and also substantially remap it), but for now I'm over budget and will have to wait.

Greg
mmmdiesel

Post by mmmdiesel »

Factory throttle body should work fine for what I'm doing. In fact a 60mm throttle body will support 4500 RPM on a stroker according to my calculations. I'm not running high revs, just crawling and cruising down the highway. The other thing that I didn't want was a touchy throttle, especially when crawling.
06-Rubicon
Noob
Noob

Post by 06-Rubicon »

How do you remap the ECU? I thought the '05's and '06's couldn't be changed. I've been told that by a couple of different "tuner" sources, shops that fiddle with the engine control computers. Possibly nobody wants to meddle with a computer that was only installed on two model years?

Joe
mmmdiesel

Post by mmmdiesel »

HP tuners has the capability, which is what I use for most everything i own, except my 2012 Cummins. The ECU is the same ECU they used in the 2004-2006 (or 2007, don't recall) dodge gas trucks, liberty, charger, 300C, etc. They list only 2006 Jeep Wrangler on their website, but if the 2005 has the NGC3 controller then I imagine you can use HP tuners on it as well. My original plan was to swap in a Hemi and 45RFE and remap the controller to match so I could maintain all of my factory gauges, locker controls, etc. but decided against it because I didn't want to put in the work and have the Jeep down for so long.

If I can't get the map to work out with the smaller injectors I'll put in ones big enough for the supercharger and map based on that. Since the maps are based on VE and injector curves, swapping injectors and changing the curves to match is easy if you have your VE map correct. To get the best power and drivability out of your engine, you need to remap on EVERY upgrade you do, such as cold air intake, bigger throttle body, headers, injectors, exhaust, etc. Just a wild guess, but I bet you could see an extra 20 hp or more just from a corrected map in your setup.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

I love the LJs, especially the Rubicons. You'll love the stroker once it's broken in and it should definitely rev freely to 4.5Krpm before the torque drops off. Please hit 5Krpm regularly to keep it exercised.
Cannonball
Vehicle Year: 2004

Post by Cannonball »

Im doing a 4.7 Stroker with Russ with the HO head LS springs and bigger valves. I have the 42RLE auto in my 2004 Brute so Im wondering what to expect.

But I also would like to know what people are experiencing for fuel mileage on the street running city and hwy not above 65mph.... Freeway will kill me with 513 gears.

I am just wondering what change you saw after the stroker install if any in fuel consumption. I understand bigger motor more fuel but in the same light more motor works less to produce the same results....

Thoughts?

Cannonball