New 4.6 build happening in Ohio

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
PseudoSport
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.0L Turbo
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: New 4.6 build happening in Ohio

Post by PseudoSport »

Little off topic but isn't the LSA on the 96-2004 cam 107.5 anyway?
GRM Challenge 1995 2WD Cheorkee, 2,780lbs, 240k 4.0L, 50 trim T3/T4 turbo, MS1 EFI, 36lbs injectors, -2.5 degrees camber, Ford 8.8 3.73 w/LSD, 274 whp/322wtq, 12.98@100mph 1/4 mile
http://www.Facebook.com/JeepXJR

1982 AMC Spirit - Turbo 4.0L, 60 trim T3/T4, MS1 EFI
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Yes, though the LSA is just one of several cam specs to consider for your choice of cam.
The Mopar Performance cams are also ground on a LSA of 108*.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
nicpaige
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: XJ
Vehicle Model: Sport

Post by nicpaige »

Thought I would update some things that have changed during this long process as I am getting near to hitting the switch.

Crank = 4 weight long snout 258, needs polished and checked out
Block = picked up a used 1999 4.0 a couple days ago, will tear it down and send it off to shop so I can decide on pistons and bearings. ARP main bolts. +.007 deck
Rods = reconditioned 4.0 rods, ARP hardware
Pistons = Bulltear 16cc "AMC" dish
Cam = Custom Jones Racing cam wide lobe using cam plate
Lifters = Crower cam savers
Pushrods = undecided
Head= Edelbrock
Head gasket = .047 VR
Intake= stock cleaned up 2000 opened to 63mm
Injectors = 24# Ford Racing
Throttle body = opened to 63mm with heat spacer
Walbro fuel pump 240lph
Header = Banks
Diffs = 4.10 gears
Tires = 31x10.5
Trans= stock AW4 with cooler new Converter
Custom Tune= SCT Flyin Ryan ???

Hook the rest of the exhaust up and install new fuel pump and she will be ready to fire. This has taken forever for many reasons. Thanks again for the tons of great advice.
nicpaige
Consistent
Consistent

Post by nicpaige »

Well she lives. I didnt get the fuel pump changed out but the original was still working fine so I started it up to break in the cam. Fired right up then commenced the 20 minute break in. Wide band showed 14.7- 15.2 during the entire break in period, oil psi was a steady 40-50 and water temp never got above 205. After shutting it down I noticed an oil leak under the bell housing area and found it was coming from the back of the valve cover. After removing the valve cover we found that the ARP head bolts were interfering with the edge of the valve cover and also the stock cover bolts were bottoming out on the metal inserts in the gasket (fel-pro) SO after massaging the cover and putting on my old gasket without the metal inserts it sealed up fine. The Banks exhaust sounds good with a nice deep rumble and you can hear the Jones cam lope just slightly. We have a few more items to button up (finish welding exhaust, fuel pump, fitting the custom axle coupler cable in the interior). Then its ready for a tune and a comparative dyno test. Once again thanks for all the replies and help you have offered. :cheers:
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Alright !! :rockout:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by SilverXJ »

nicpaige wrote:After removing the valve cover we found that the ARP head bolts were interfering with the edge of the valve cover and also the stock cover bolts were bottoming out on the metal inserts in the gasket (fel-pro)
Do you have the steel or aluminum valve cover? My steel one needed to be massaged a bit as well with the ARP bolts.
nicpaige
Consistent
Consistent

Post by nicpaige »

SilverXJ wrote:
nicpaige wrote:After removing the valve cover we found that the ARP head bolts were interfering with the edge of the valve cover and also the stock cover bolts were bottoming out on the metal inserts in the gasket (fel-pro)
Do you have the steel or aluminum valve cover? My steel one needed to be massaged a bit as well with the ARP bolts.
Stock steel one, I figured I couldn't be the only one that has run into this. Thanks for all your help SilverXJ I appreciate it. I have the Innovate wideband data and I also plugged in a Kiwi OBD2 bluetooth scan tool. Pretty impressed with the scan tool, you can log data, clear codes etc.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Every valve cover I've had including the crown cast cover i've had to clearance.
I'm at the point now where I'm surprised if you could actually bolt a non OEM part on without having to massage it
nicpaige
Consistent
Consistent

Post by nicpaige »

SIXPAK
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 280

Post by SIXPAK »

Sounds good Rick!
nicpaige
Consistent
Consistent

Post by nicpaige »

Thanks SIXPAK, I really appreciate you helping me out this year. Send me a PM or text when your racing I want to check it out.
SIXPAK
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 280

Post by SIXPAK »

Will do Rick
nicpaige
Consistent
Consistent

Post by nicpaige »

Well here is the latest update. After my small piston ring issue I finally got it back together and running. I hooked up a Zeitronix wideband logger ZT-2 model. Cold starts fine, idle is about 200 low at 550rpm but rock steady. No overheating, AFR is very good at 14.5-14.7 and richens up to 13.6 under WOT conditions. While watching the data on the laptop it logs great but when you save the file and play it back the rpm and TPS measurements seem off. I will have to call them about that. No pinging, very nice torque off idle, no hesitation or hickups. Only a few nagging problems, I have a hot start issue where it wants to crank and crank before firing. Fuel PSI is 49 and holds pressure after shut off which is good. IAC seems to be functioning fine. I also have a pretty significant oil leak from the valve cover. It is fine at idle and then at mid to wot it will actually spurt oil out. Maybe related somewhat to the valve cover vent not being hooked into the intake tube for vacuum evacuation, maybe the rings not seated fully yet with only 45 minutes run time. Maybe a head/arp bolt/cover/gasket issue.
nicpaige
Consistent
Consistent

Post by nicpaige »

Havent posted in awhile so just an update. Everything with motor is going well. I have been towing my new toy and just keep it in 3rd gear with no issues. Without trailer = 14-15mpg With trailer unloaded = 12mpg Loaded with UTV = 9-10mpg.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

What's the new toy?