Titan Engines - Reviews? Comments?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
JeepFan
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Titan Engines - Reviews? Comments?

Post by JeepFan »

I recently came across Titan Engines in Florida and they offer various stroker options such as complete unassembled engine kits, rotating assembly kit, upgrade kit, etc. Does anyone have any experience with them or heard any reviews about their products, service, pricing, etc.?
jbxx
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: $.6 mistake?
Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Re: Titan Engines - Reviews? Comments?

Post by jbxx »

Lots of info on Titan Engines here.
Search button above and to the right
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

I've heard mixed reviews about their complete stroker engines (mostly bad) but their stroker kit would definitely be a more attractive option.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Model: CJ8

Post by akadeutsch »

If you are new to the idea of Stroking...your motor. Check out some salvage yards for major parts first. I found a complete Jeep 258 4.2L engine on Craigslist for 50.00 bucks. Your rotating assembly and your block can be found for pretty cheap. Then go for a high quality rebuild kit like this...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fem-m ... 7AodtH8AHA

or...

http://www.cleggengine.com/engine-rebui ... gine=49421

I think a lot of the parts in the Titan kit are over engineered, while others are not good enough. For example they use cast rings with forged pistons and stock connecting rod bolts. You can do better than that. Clegg sells a complete kit with good upgrade options, but it is expensive. I am using a local auto parts store to get my rebuild kit. If you are in Colorado I have some Jeep 258 connecting rods for you.

Here are a couple sites that I have read over and over
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/index.html

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html
FUZZY
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: WRANGLER

Post by FUZZY »

Steer clear of Titan engines. Their warranty is essentially none existant. Nothing is covered and they leave you hanging high and dry.

I bought the 4.7 stroker/ aluminum Edelbrock head from them full assembly (except valve cover and oil pan) and paid for dyno before it shipped to me. it all looked good when it arrived, so I went ahead and painted the block to go with the custom paint scheme on the jeep. After installing the oil pan, valve cover and all other external components new it was time to get it in the jeep and fire it up. It was a no go from the start. After double checking everything we could have done incorrectly it was determined that all we did was perfect, but yet it would fire up. Pulled it out and reinstalled the original motor so we could drive it while we worked out warranty and diagnostics with Titan Engines. They asked us to repeat everything we had just done and still no joy. After deciding to just take off the valve cover I found they didn't do the dyno, because there were 3 out of 6 cylinders with rockers loose enough to nearly fall of the studs. Once I got that straightened out (which I shouldn't have had to if the truly did dyno the engine) I reinstalled it along with a new starter that burnt up during diagnostics and new fly wheel that it had chewed the gears off. Once we got it fired up we thought we were good to go for along run. NOT. After the break in and then 500 miles to 1st oil change, then lifters were noisy again. I rest them all and checked the cam while I had the pan off to look for wear. Sure enough after only 500 miles the cam showed premature wear of an engine that would have had 100k on it. Called Titan again and they attempted to put the blame on me again for improper break in or wrong oil. Didn't work out that way as I did everything they requested and used the oil they requested along with the ZDP additive. After realizing that they requested I pull the motor again and pay to ship it back to them for inspection at which time they will determine if it's under warranty. I'd already lost a lot of time dealing with Titan and had lost all confidence in their honesty. I turned everything over to the lawyers and let them handle it.
I left the engine in and decide to run it as long as it will go all while doing regular maintenance on it as I would with every vehicle I own. Well, after only 8k miles of daily driving to and from work. It was backed in the garage the other night, turned it off and it backfired through the intake, and never fired up again. I replaced all the external components again hoping it was one of those, but to no avail. All it would do is back fire through the intake during start up, I checked the fuel pressure and everything else I could. This leads me to believe it's more internal than external. When I get a chance now that it's back at my shop, I will run compression checks, drain the oil and remove the pan to get a good look at the suspected cam shaft since it had shown the premature wear way back at the 500 mile mark.
FUZZY
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: WRANGLER

Post by FUZZY »

After many hours of research and testing, it was determined the Titan 4.7 Stroker is less than desirable nor affordable to rebuild again.

Instead I've pulled the stroker out and ordered an LS swap kit from Novak so that we will have a dependable 5.3 aluminum block LS in it's place. It's nearly done, but is on the back burner while I get the other 20 project finished first.
Randy Bobandi
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Post by Randy Bobandi »

Even Steve Morris, Proline, Fast Forward and Alan Johnson have furious customers due to premature failures. The Crate engine business isn't very practical. That's why there is an engine machine shop in every county in America.

Too many variables. Too easy to rip off the buyers.