Crankshafts

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Delk

Crankshafts

Post by Delk »

Does anyone know if anybody is making or has a source for new 4.2 crankshafts?

I am colecting parts for my second storker and since this one will be supercharged it would be nice to have a nice new crank.

Delk
Delk
98 Wrangler, 4.6 stroker, Dana 44's 5.13 gears and lots of dents
61 Land rover 2A
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Re: Crankshafts

Post by 1bolt »

HESCO I think has new old stock cranks but (and I say this not knowing the price for sure) it's probably expensive.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

Moved to the basic forum seems it belongs there better.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

i think there was a company our of Atlanta that was making new OEM cranks. i will try and look it up for you.
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

Delk

Post by Delk »

They are who I bought my last crankshaft from. Great service but they just had ground crankshafts at that time.
Delk
61 Land rover 2A
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

why do you need a new one anyway? sounds expensive.
Delk

Post by Delk »

It's not a question of need. I was just looking around to see if there is an option for a new crank. I figured after I spend the money on forged pistons, eagle rods and a supercharger it would be nice to put a new crank and standard bearings in.

Delk
Delk
61 Land rover 2A
fishyjeep
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by fishyjeep »

You can use standard bearings if you get one of hesco's hard chromed cranks. I believe the chroming process brings the journals back up to standard.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

Why is it HESCO is always doing something wacky that I've never heard of before? Chromed Cranks? I guess that's an offshoot of the fact that we don't have any steel or forged aftermarket cranks to choose from so naturally HESCO can offer something slightly tougher than stock and it's the only game in town. They also offer a cryo treated shot peened OEM cast crank.

So without searching HESCO's forums whats the scoop on chromed cranks?
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

Hard chroming has been used for a long time to reduce coefficient of friction, build up dimensions and reduce wear, Most common example is think of a hydraulic cylinder shaft and bore.Used it in an application of 2500 tons and it lasted for many years. Application techniques vary from surfacing to actual permeation of the parent materials.
John
tirod
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by tirod »

Chrome cranks have been out since, gee, the '50's? It an old hot rodder method to increase hardness on the journals - and build them up to a larger diameter. Chrome is a good choice when you don't want to pay the cost of nitriding a long six cylinder crank back to factory hardness when it's been ground, and the possible warping and rejects.

You do get them nitrided after they've been ground more than .002", right? It's more important than balancing in my book.

Chrome has been on again, off again, for decades as the real point is getting good hardness on the journal face to resist wear - and once electric welding of journals came out with high hardness rod, it's taken a back seat, especially with all the hazmat surrounding chrome.

Chromed or nitrided, stock journals need something to bring them back up to spec after they've been turned.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

fishyjeep wrote:You can use standard bearings if you get one of hesco's hard chromed cranks. I believe the chroming process brings the journals back up to standard.
The chroming process, like nitriding, surface hardens the journals so that they can withstand more abuse than a stock crank without increased wear. Chromed or nitrided cranks are most suitable for forced induction applications where higher cylinder pressures are transmitted to the rod journals.
Unfortunately nobody manufactures new 258 cranks so the remaining ones that are being sold are used cores that are reconditioned. The same goes for the 258 rods.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

All very interesting... I wonder does anyone Cryo treat cranks or rods? I've heard that this can increase overall hardness (not just surface hardness like peening) I know it's popular with axle shafts.
--
Simon